Help needed on this

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by De Orc, Aug 28, 2010.

1. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Any ideas as to what it is?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I'm going way out on a very shaky limb here, and say it may be a coinage of saxony/german states. The Saint kneeling with arms stretched out and a portrait of a king of coronation or Death commemoration . Wish I could offer some more factual information for you.

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Looks like Antoninus Pius

maybe similar to this one

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/antoninus_pius/t.html

milne 2003 Antoninus Pius Æ Drachm of Alexandria. Year 12 = 148/9 AD. Laureate, draped, & cuirassed bust right / Isis Pharia, holding sistrum & billowing sail, standing right before Pharos of Alexandria; date around. Köln 1604, Dattari 2677, Emmett 1592.

or

koln 1603 Antoninus Pius Æ Drachm of Egypt, Alexandria. AVT K T AIL ADP ANTONINOC, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right / DOD-CICA, Isis Pharia holding billowing sail and sistrum, advancing right toward Pharos lighthouse. Year below. Milne 2007/2004 mule.

5. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

The year is not visible on this piece, but it IS an Alexandrian drachm of Antoninus Pius. The type with the Pharos Lighthouse is comparatively valuable. Good catch, Orc!

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Thank you guy's unfortunatly the piece is not mine but belongs to a friend can any one give me a idea as to its value? He inherited quite a horde mainly modernish this was the only one I was stuck on

7. coinman0456

In Copper?

8. coinman0456

The piece, is it copper ? I don't think that is bronze we are looking at.

9. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I would say it was copper yes

10. coinman0456

That makes me question the true Identification of your coin. Wish I could be of more help, I'll keep looking though.

11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Can I ask what you think is wrong with the info given??

12. coinman0456

AS I previously suggested, I don't think the coin is from that era, but rather a copper coin issued in the Saxony/Germany States period. Albeit, I can't confirm that either, I'm just taking as stab. As I said , "going out on a limb" a real long limb. Hopefully you will get the correct information from someone . The Obv. resembles a " Saint " on bended knee, praying w/out stretched arms or in prayer, while the Rev, depicts perhaps a King in coronation, or in Death commemoration. Not from the Roman Empire.

13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

See randygeki's links. By the way, AE is the standard numismatic abbreviation for "aes," Latin for bronze. Its used as shorthand for any ancient copper or brass coins.

15. coinman0456

I humbly stand corrected. I read the Harlan Berk information. TY

16. coinman0456

Looks like that may be worth a few Bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted