Help needed on removing sticky sticker residue from slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cremebrule, Mar 7, 2013.

1. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Hi all,

Need a bit of help/tips on how to remove the sticky residue from stickers off of coin slabs without hurting the slab and coin inside. I recently purchased a coin from a seller who placed a sticker blocking a good portion of the reverse of the coin -- when I tried to remove it lo and behold there was a thin film of the sticky stuff stuck on the slab! Any help is appreciated!

-CB

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

I had a sticker on one of my slabs and a damp paper towel was able to get rid of most of the sticker residue.

4. dmott88

dmott88 Coin Slinger

GOO - GONE

Works great.

450.jpg

mlov43, IQless1 and JPeace$ like this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Goo Gone works well, but keep it way from the seam or any cracks in the slab. Capillary action can draw it inside the slab.

6. 74Teen

74Teen Member

I've had pretty good luck using WD40 on mastic that Goo Gone wouldn't remove completely. The same warnings apply about it getting near the cracks.

7. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Another product is called PrepSol. I used it to remove cheap adhesive back trim off a car of mine. No effects to the paint so I imagine its safe for plastics as well.

8. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

I know it sounds odd...but peanut butter works perfect.

9. dmott88

dmott88 Coin Slinger

Pam the non-stick spray works well too.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not odd, it's the oil in the peanut butter that is dissolving the adhesive, same as with the goo gone or wd-40. You will find that most any light weight oil will work.

11. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Thanks for all the help! The only reason I'm afraid to use any of those products is because it might affect/react with the coin inside in the long run. I think I'll try the damp paper towel first and then some WD40.

12. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I'm going pick up some Goo Gone. I have used WD40 it works great, but with the warnings about long term harmful vapors. Anyone compared the two and have an opinion on which is better?

13. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I have used Ronson lighter fluid.

14. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

A little soap and water works. What's the deal with the common practice of putting a sticker over the back hologram label which flakes it apart when you remove the sticker? It looks shoddy to see a $10,000 coin (not that I have one) in a slab with the back hologram all chunked off...

15. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

There are no warnings about long term harmful vapors for WD40. It is basically kerosene with a bit of fish oil. Nothing going to arm you in any normal quantities. And I looked at the MSDS to be sure.

geekpryde likes this.
  16. geekpryde

Well that's good to know, but I was talking about harmful vapors for the coins. ;) I actually hadn't even considered my own health. You see how nutty this hobby makes us, LOL.

IQless1 likes this.
  17. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I tried non-acetone nail polish removal on an ANACS slab a while back and it reacted with the plastic and clouded it up. Then I polished it with Turtle Wax and it came out fine. Just be careful with any kind of aggressive chemical.

18. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

You will get pretty much the same answer for the coins.

19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Just use a soft cloth with isopropanol.

20. geekpryde

Well I tried WD40 and Goo Gone tonight on 4 coins that arrived today. These are NGC no-line fatties, so these slabs and stickers are OLD. First off, both WD40 and Goo Gone work fine on newer labels that have a clear or white-ish adhesive, and scrubbing a little with q-tips makes fast work of them.

Unfortunately for me, 3 of the 4 coins had 20 year old sticker adhesive on both sides, which has turned crusty and yellow. Basically looks like (is?) petrified masking tape! Neither WD40 or Goo Gone worked well on these. I scrubbed, I soaked, I cleaned it up, and repeated. I used my fingernails between sessions. Each coin took about 4 soaks, and I still don't have all this rock-hard yellow adhesive off. Got most, but unless I want to sand blast these fatties, the rest is there to stay.

Following the Goo Gone instructions, I dabbled a rag in some soapy water and gave the slab a little cleanup, I hope this takes away most of any remnant liquid and odor.

Here is one of the coins I cleaned up:

1944-D 50C Obv Slab.jpg

21. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Very Nice '44 Half.
    I use some Goo Gone and seems to work fine on all the rattlers I have. I also use Slab Renew, I guess I should just use the Turtle wax, does great on the car!
    Next one I'll try the WD-40.
    Thanks for the tips.

geekpryde likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted