Help Needed Identifying Liberian Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I bought the coin pictured below at least 40 years ago at a coin show in Rochester, NY. I lost the coin when I moved about 5 years ago & found it over the weekend :). The coin was marked pattern on the 2 X 2 flip with no other information. It appears to be copper or bronze, weighs 10.7 gm, & the diameter is 27.85 mm. My 87th edition of World Coins, 1801-1991 by Krause & Mishler does not list this coin, however they do list other 2 cent coins with a similar obverse minted in 1847 that appear larger than my coin. The reason I bought the coin is because the design seemed so American o_O, especially with the motto IN GOD WE TRUST on the reverse. It looks like the Liberian flag inspired the design of this coin, see photos below the coin. It appears to be in mint state or nearly so with the reverse deeply toned but much original red on the obverse. Does this coin have any market value today :confused:? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;).

IMG_8895.JPG
    IMG_8898.JPG
    1920px-Flag_of_Liberia.svg.png

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Steve66 and Chris B like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

From Numista for the 2 Cent

References X# Pn5 which is Unusual World Coins

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

6. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

From an old CU post:
    upload_2019-8-28_17-22-58.png

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Not bad, I have one somewhere but mines is bigger and mine is fake! In comparison, good score for you! :D

8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for the helpful info :D! Bradley Trotter & furryfrog02 set me in the right direction. Heritage had a number of similar coins in their archives & the eBay example pictured below is the exact same type as my coin, only slightly better in condition. This example was slabbed by PCGS as SP65RB KM X-Pn5, & dealer priced at $415.00 or Best offer.

s-l1600.jpg

9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

That is very cool!

Draft saved Draft deleted