Help needed for a strange Nemesis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jochen1, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

Dear friends!

I need help for a strange Nemesis/Aequitas of Nikopolis. I have had posted this Question some times before in FAC but got no answers. Now I hope someone here can help me!

Moesia inferior, Nikopolis ad Istrum, Elagabal, AD 218-222
    AE 27, 10.79g, 26.78mm, 15°
    struck under governor Novius Rufus
    obv. [AVT K] M AVR - AN[TWNEINOC]
    Laureate head r.
    rev. VP NOBIOV ROVFOV NIKOPOLITWN PRO (PR ligate)
    in upper l. field one below the other C IC / TR
    in r. field ON
    Nemesis-Aequitas in long garment and mantle stg. l., holding goad in l. arm and in
    extended r. hand scales; no wheel; over l. shoulder strange longish object with knob at top.
    ref. a) AMNG I/1, 1962 (1 ex., Milano); object over her l. shoulder not mentioned!
    b) Varbanov 4048 (= AMN 1962)
    c) Hristova/Hoeft/Jekov (2018) No. 8.26.35.5 (this coin)
    scarce, F/F+, dark green patina, patina damage on obv.

nikopolis_elagabal_HrHJ(2013)8.26.35.5corr.jpg

This strange object I have found only on this type. I have listed the possibilities which came in my mind:
    (1) It is only a die break. But the coin from Wildwinds have it in another shape with knots and that can't be a die break.
    (2) Part of her hairdo: Rather not
    (3) A quiver, but the quiver is seen usually over the right shoulder
    (4) Scabbard for sword, but I have never seen a Nemesis with sword
    (5) Cubit or measuring rod. That would match the pic from Wildwinds where it has knots = marks of the cubit

I think the most probable is the cubit. What do you think?

I have attached the pic of the coin from Wildwinds.

_nikopolis_Varbanov_4044v.jpg Thanks in advance!

Ryro, Pellinore, gogili1977 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. You can also add branch or apple branch to the list of possibilities, since Nemesis is also seen carrying a branch. I haven't seen it behind her back (or is it in front? I can't tell on either of these coins.) but it is no more unlikely than the other possibilities. It doesn't look like a die break though.

Sometimes the branches held by Nemesis have little enlargements on the end, such as in the the coins you showed. An example:

[​IMG]
    Agora 66 lot 198
    Hadrian. A.D. 117-138. AE sestertius (29.78 mm, 23.33 g, 7 h). Rome mint, A.D. 136. HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P, laureate head right / S-C, Nemesis standing right, holding fold of dress and olive branch. RIC 779; Banti 719.

How would this branch be affixed to her though? Tucked in her waist band in the front or back?

PeteB, Ryro, Pellinore and 4 others like this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nemesis reverse of Geta, Nikopolis ad Istrum...notice the wheel to the left of Nemesis, and the scales in the her right hand.

geta2.jpg

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

It's a cubit Jochen

Macrinus Nemesis.jpg

PeteB, Ryro, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Cubit would be the main attribute of Nemesis. I don't think that's a goad in her hand, either; I think it's a bridle. See my thread on the Hymn to Nemesis, an ancient song describing all of her attributes.

Here's a Nemesis from nearby Tomis where she holds a cubit-rod and a bridle:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Tomis Nemesis.JPG

PeteB, Ryro, Alegandron and 6 others like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

On the Wildwinds coin (which is a die match to Jochen's coin), it looks like there may be another end to the object in question projecting beside/behind her right hip. The dimple on the OP coin obscures this area.

I don't know if cubit sticks were worn in such a manner, but perhaps it is slung across her body like a quiver? That might be a handy way to carry it for a woman who has her hands full with other tools of justice and revenge :D.

CT-Jochen-NemesisCubit.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Ryro, Alegandron, Andres2 and 3 others like this.
  8. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Sharp eye, TIF. It lines up exactly......to my old eyes.

TIF likes this.
  9. Jochen1

Thank you all for your posts. But I think I have to clarify my question:

Attribute #1 is especially characterized by a hook at its head. This remarkable hook is untypical for a cubit. Pick, author of AMNG (and one of the best-ever!), writes: This hook speaks for an instrument for punishment, e.g. a scourge. I think it is better to call it a goad. I have added the pic of a goad for elephants. Formerly it was used to herd cattle too.

7454039-elephant-hook-e1418643094305.jpg

But my question refers to attribut #2. Because here you can see marks in constant distances it can well be a measuring stick.

Attribute.jpg
    Best regards

Sorry, I have seen TIF's post too late. Yes, it is this object. And thanks for pointing to its lower end! I must confess, I have overlooked it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2019
  10. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Hello, Jochen. If you don't mind me saying, I think you've got too much complicated technical detail, which makes it difficult to see the wood for the trees. I looked it up in a book of Art Symbols. It may not provide the answer, but I think there may be some possible clues, which make it easier to find and answer. "Nemesis. In Greek mythology one of the daughters of Night who brought retribution , upon those whose natures were hardened by pride, or hubris. The figure of Nemesis resembles that of the goddess FORTUNE with whom she has some affinities, since both can bring about man's undoing. Both are represented as naked women, winged, BLINDFOLD, with a terrestrial GLOBE for a footstool.In one hand Nemesis holds a BRIDLE or a ROPE with which she binds man's pride, in the other a VASE containing riches and honour to reward the just. Her victims may crouch at her feet." With such details, including what her tasks were, it may seem easier. What would she have the object on her shoulder for ? Maybe to whip a horse, or maybe to punish an erroneous man ? Or maybe something entirely different ?

11. Jochen1

Dear Bert!

Thank you for your post. But I think we two use different ways to analyze the coin. You start with the description in the books and then try to explain the depiction. My way is different. My source is the coin. I try to describe it and then try to explain the found facts.

Best regards

TIF likes this.
  12. Bert Gedin

Sorry, Jochen, you're quite wrong. I was appealing to your imagination, which I assume you must have. But I can see, now, that you prefer a complicated answer whereas I was trying to simplify The issue. But I was wasting my time.

13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

14. Bert Gedin

I never said that the wording would match the coins 100% - I'm not so ignorant as to expect that. You, PeteB refer to it as if you've made a unique discovery. You haven't, it's no big deal, and it doesn't mean that the detail of nakedness makes or breaks the clues. But if you are able and willing to get a better reference source, then good luck to you. Pity nobody managed that years ago.

15. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Here is a depiction of Nemesis on this coin of Vespasian.

vespasian ric 544.jpg

Bing, Alegandron, TIF and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jochen1

It's the same depiction as on this aureus of Claudius. This was my first ancient coin.

claudius_38.jpg

Because of the legend she is often called Pax/Nemesis.

Jochen

Johndakerftw, zumbly, Bing and 4 others like this.
  17. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

A lovely coin @Jochen

I would love to have an aureus like that one. There is also a Vespasian aureus with a similar reverse.

18. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

When I first looked at the coin I was convinced that that the Left arm was in an upright position & not holding anything at all, then I read your description o_O
    The more I look at it, the more convinced I am that it is upright & reaching, not downward & holding.
    My " minds eye " wont allow me to see it your way :wacky:

Draft saved Draft deleted