Help! My coin is broken!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bonbonbelly, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

Hi Everyone,

I recently got a broken 1954 Washington quarter, the first I've ever seen like this. The crack is ragged and the broken edges are rough and grainy looking so it was not cut. Anybody have any experience with this type of error? I'm wondering if these are rare and worth anything above silver melt. Thanks.

GEDC2388.jpg GEDC2377.jpg GEDC2385.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

duct tape it.

4. bonbonbelly

I was thinking more like super glue.
    :rolleyes:

5. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

It's not an error it's pmd someone just cut it in half

6. Dennis68

Dennis68 Member

Sell it on eBay with a starting bid of $10,000,000 :devil:

7. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

But then you can't re-break it for future enjoyment :(

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

You know super glue won't work. Krazy glue shows a guy hanging by his helmet. Try that stuff.

9. valente151

valente151 Mr. AU64, Jr.

10. Parquet

Parquet New Member

So cool that the same coin (coin #25) is in two slabs!

I'd pursue the possibility that your quarter is similar. I would think that there'd be more evidence of bending or cutting if that were the case...

How nicely do they fit back together?

11. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

So PCGS grades and slabs things like this?

12. alloystang

alloystang New Member

what temps would it take to freeze, then snap it? doesnt look cut

13. bonbonbelly

This is the coin in a 2x2 with back lighting.

GEDC2372.JPG

14. valente151

valente151 Mr. AU64, Jr.

I would assume there would have to be solid evidence it was a planchet flaw, and not just a lack of evidence that it was PMD.

15. koen

koen New Member

Combination of what i learned in school and what i learned from coins so far: when coins are made the material what they are made gets flattened (did not know the right word). In the walsing proces the silver bars need to be reheated at some point, if not the silver gets to much inner tention.When not done properly you can not see it at the outside, but a silver bar not "untentioned" with heat can fracture. The fracture lines of a non correct walsed silver bar are looking much like the fractureline i see on this coin. Not sure it has anything to do with it, but it is an option.

16. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Log might be onto it. I have seen many cast fakes broken just like this.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind... The color looks good tho... But what's going on with the surface on the reverse?? Any chance you could weigh it?

17. Parquet

Parquet New Member

Good point.

Still, the inside of the rip looks funky. Maybe an improper mix? or cast?

The lower right of the obverse (upper right reverse) looks funky, too. Will they put it in two "genuine" slabs?!

Even better: the small piece grades and the big gets geniuned!

18. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I would think that the interior metal of the coin would be much less porous than what is exhibited on the OP's coin. Especially after the rolling process which actually compresses the metal. The inner metal of his coin looks almost identical to the porous exterior which leads me to believe cast fake.

19. koen

koen New Member

now that i can take a look at the pictures on a big screen (when i posted the story bout the tention it was on my phone, so with small pictures), i dont think it is a tention problem.
    it looks like the temperature of the melted material was not high enough, what could be a verry good indicator that its a casted coin.
    If you melt silver and the temperature is not highe enough you get a verry similar patern when it breaks.

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree

Draft saved Draft deleted