Help me with this Chinese silver coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by daveydempsey, Feb 14, 2016.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Kirin Province 10 Cents KM Y#180.1
    but which date 1906 or 1907.

003.JPG

004.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I might be wrong but I don't think your coin shows the date.

4. daveydempsey

Thanks paddyman.
    I wouldn`t know.
    In Krause it gives two dates for this coin, 06 and 07 I`m hoping someone can tell me which

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have seen the dates on similar coins in this area to the left and the right... yours just have those small crosses or + symbols
    Capture.JPG

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Is that a regnal year at the bottom, I see the number 2 in Chinese, so possibly year 2?

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

It's ND (1898), the other years are actually dated. Nice example by the way, most of these are horribly bad quality

daveydempsey and paddyman98 like this.
  8. daveydempsey

Thank you, I`m a little late back but you were bang on.

9. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Your is actually in a decent condition. A lot of Kirin coins didn't survive too well as many of these silver coins were intentionally struck underweight as Kirin Province had to source silver from other provinces. Merchants obviously caught up and refused to accept these coins unless they were traded at a discount.

The earlier coins were actually not dated as they were going through a transition phrase where the earlier brass cast coins had no years on them and I presume the mints didn't see the importance of putting years on them.

I have one silver coin from Kirin province and this is a rather neat one. Note that most of the letter "N" looks like a "Z" and the letter "K" looks like an inverted "Z", hence this is simply noted as the "Z" variety. If you like anything with the letter "Z", like a Nissan 370z, this is a coin you should look for.

[​IMG]

daveydempsey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted