Help me with quality expectations

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jeff Beatty, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Can someone please enlighten me about the quality of US Mint "Presidential Dollars"? Here's what I am seeing: I purchased a 100 coin bag (2015 P Kennedy Presidential Dollars) from the US Mint. When the bag arrived, I was really disappointed in how the coins looked. I'm experienced enough to understand bag marks (especially when I'm getting coins in a bag!) but what shocked me was the massive degree of spotting...looks like a rust colored surfactant...like a problem with the final rinse. So I politely called the US Mint and discussed this with them & my expectations. They gladly exchanged my order for a different bag...I was eager to try again. So the 2nd bag is here. 87 coins have the spots/stains. 12 coins are spot free. 1 Coin is an accidental "Eisenhower".

Can someone with more expertise than me tell me if this is to be expected? Is this acceptable? I see websites with photographic grading aids...where they show Sacagawea in MS67 with the same sort of spots. I was careful not to touch the surfaces (only edges) of any of my coins...and I wear craft gloves...so my coins haven't been touched by human skin. Does the spotting seriously degrade the condition since it's something that (I believe) occurred in the mint process? Please explain!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I haven't had any experience with this but could you post some pictures for us to see?

4. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I know what you are talking about in a sense. The mint has had poor quality for a while on various issues, IMO. I don't see it as acceptable, but I don't have a say so in this. I did finally after a few years of trying to find fresh rolls from the mint of Presidential Dollars, decide they had enough issues to not make them look good, easily. That and I really didn't like a lot of the portraits, I decided I would stop going out of my way to collect them.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I guess it's just the luck of the draw. I used to buy the $250 bags of Sacagawea dollars before the change to the "Native American" theme. My last submission to NGC produced 14-MS68, 38-MS67 and 2-MS66 (brain fart?) but in all the bags that I bought from the Mint, I never found a problem with spotting.

Maybe the Mint is just getting sloppy in processing the coins destined for circulation, bags and rolls.

Chris

Jeff Beatty likes this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've never ordered 'bags' but only rolls, and have enjoyed great success in that endeavor.......

7. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Here's one with the stain all over Kennedy's hair...

Attached Files:

8. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Stains in various places on this reverse....notice beneath the $1 and also across the top....

Attached Files:

9. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Stain to the west of Kennedy's forehead....

Attached Files:

10. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Another stain to the west of forehead and spot by the ear. I have 87 out of 100 coins that exhibit this 'problem'. Straight from the US Mint fulfillment center.

Attached Files:

11. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Thanks for this info. I am scratching my head. Photos are posted now and I just don't get it. I'll probably return these (again) and ask them to send me rolls instead...just to see if the quality changes. I had a very open discussion with customer service the FIRST time I returned the 100 coin bag and asked him "are the coins you sell in bags known to be lesser quality and maybe my expectations are out of whack?" He proclaimed the answer is "no" and said to return the coins as "damaged".

12. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

My comments sound inappropriate...this is Kennedy & not Clinton folks....lol. Milky stains all over this obverse. hehe

Mainebill and Paul M. like this.
  13. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

No kidding!

14. Jeff Beatty

Jeff Beatty Member

Done

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Its a more common problem that it should be lately and that's not the only series its been happening in. You will find dollars like that in a lot of the mint sets too

16. green18

Thankfully (to date) I haven't............

17. baseball21

Unfortunately I have....a lot lol

18. green18

Guess I've just been (Clint Eastwood) lucky.........

19. green18

Wish I'd win the lottery......

20. baseball21

Remind me to have you order for me next time I want one lol

green18 likes this.
  21. green18

You got it brother........:)

baseball21 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted