Help Me Understand ... another ebay question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kc_hhsl, Jun 4, 2011.

1. kc_hhsl

kc_hhsl New Member

I'm out on ebay for folders. I'm in need of several - starting at pennies up through quarters and toss in buffs and IHs.

I look at what is out there an people are selling these at a wide range - from a higher $ amount and free shipping or low $ amount and higher shipping. Many are used. Sometimes you can get multiples for a set price - still when you average price + shipping it can still approach the $3+ if not a lot higher range. On top of that many are used ...

I check a couple of sites on the net and you can get folders for as low as $2.80 up to $4.00 and shipping at a couple of places was like $5 flat or if the order was large enough $9 flat. If you bought several items - and allocated shipping you buy new folders for as low as $3.25 (maybe lower). And you get new folders.

So it begs the question - who is buying these folders off of ebay ... don't understand why buy used @ new prices.

This is one that amuses me.

KC:hail:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Uhh ... You?

4. BoneDust

BoneDust Active Member

That depends on what kind of folders are for sale. Some people actually collect them. Some aren't on the market new anymore as the dates are always being added. So I guess it depends when the folders were made. For those that one can buy new, I'm not to sure.

5. kc_hhsl

kc_hhsl New Member

Ahhh .... now I know - the Barts of the world ... and I'm not Bart, cannot stand butterfingers. So how is it going Bart?

6. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member

I bought a bunch of whitman folders from the 50's and 60's at a second hand book store recently for a buck each!!! pays to look around sometimes.

7. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

bought an IHC collection from an old man. He had an ad in the weekly want ads & when I called him ended up in a screaming match... He started out by yelling "I AM HARD OF HEARING SO YOU HAVE TO SPEAK LOUDLY!" lol first he says someone else was coming tomorrow. Thought it was over then... next morning the phone rings & it's him. He told me the other guy didn't have enough money. I went, bought, conquered, and in the end I got him to throw in "FOR FREE, SINCE I PAYED BOOK PRICE!" the fancy whitman album with little plastic strips that slide out thru the edge on both sides. It eliminated having to 'push' them into out of the album, and allowing one to view both sides of the coin. I would pay more than $4 for some more of those, as all I see in bookstores and the like are the type where you have to apply pressure to the coin to get it in there. I wonder if they still make them?

8. kc_hhsl

kc_hhsl New Member

If it is a collectors type or hard to come by - totally can see why. But if you are talking the standard coin folder for pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, halves ... that you can buy for $2.80 +/- brand new ... this just makes me wonder why people waste their money.

Later
    KC

Draft saved Draft deleted