Help me purchase my first Morgan Dollar Graded/Non-Graded

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jaredbd, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Jaredbd

Jaredbd Active Member

Limit $104.

After browsing the forums and seeing what goes on here, i figured there would be no better place to ask this question than to veterans.

Where do you go for Morgan Dollars?

I don't have any, and I am interested in buying one. Graded or Non, I don't have a preference as long as its real ;).

I use eBay for most of my purchases. There could be a better way... So here I am.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Heritage, Great Collections, the Sales threads here, the sales threads on the PCGS and NGC forums, and Collectors' Corner are all useful. EBay can be okay.

On another note, my advice is to stick with eye appealing specimens and do not settle. There are plenty of specimens to chase after out there, even with some of the semi-keys. I avoid common dates in lower graded (< MS65) condition unless the coins have some unusual attribute such as exceptional toning, PL/DPL fields, and/or cameo contrasts.

swamp yankee and Jaredbd like this.
  4. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I forget how many posts you need to post in the "Wanted" forum... maybe no restrictions. That would be a good place to start (in addition to what CoinChemistry posted above).

Is there a dollar limit for your purchase? If so, that would help.

Jaredbd likes this.
  5. Jaredbd

Jaredbd Active Member

I'd like to stay in the $104 range. Not going over. And i'll look for that forum now.

EDIT: Yes, i need to have privileges to post there. That's fine though, someday... :)

6. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

As a new buyer, I'd recommend you drive to a local coin shop if you have one near by. Buy your first Morgan Dollar there. Get a common date, you can pick one up in average circulated condition (Fine-Extra Fine) for a few dollars over melt.

It's much better for a beginner to see the coin in hand rather than buy it over the internet for your first purchase. Ask the dealer to show you coins in different grades and explain the price differences based on condition. Turn it into a learning experience. Much more satisfying than buying it over the internet in my opinion.

BadThad, Tater and Jaredbd like this.
  7. Jaredbd

Jaredbd Active Member

That's an excellent option. I currently reside in a small mountain town. We don't have any coin stores here so i'm out of luck. A trip to Denver or Springs might be in order!

8. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

Jaredbd likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Before making any suggestions, it might help to know what your budget will be for this coin.

Chris

Jaredbd and Coinchemistry 2012 like this.
  10. torontokuba

See post #4.

Jaredbd likes this.
  11. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I'd aim for a better date that jumps up a lot in full gem. Look for a coin in 64 with nice eye appeal, better date like 79, 84, 89, 21s. I have sold them below CDN.

Jaredbd likes this.
  12. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I would still avoid generics below MS65 absent phenomenal eye appeal or other special attribute.

Jaredbd likes this.
  13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Great eBay seller, fair prices and nicely toned coins!

I wouldn't care too much about the grade or the date/mm. Do you want a white coin, or rather a rainbow toned Morgan? Buy the coin you really like, the one with the most eye-appeal, preferrably slabbed.

Jaredbd likes this.
  14. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i'd make the same suggestion as Race did, make a trip to the city an go to a coin shop and examine multiple coins in hand, there u can compare graded versus ungraded and ask questions and for 104 bucks u may even be able to get 2 nice coins...

RaceBannon and Jaredbd like this.
  15. cpm9ball

Now, how did I miss that? Nah! Someone is trying to put one over on me.

Chris:woot:

Coinchemistry 2012 and Jaredbd like this.
  16. torontokuba

Golden years ...?

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  17. cpm9ball

I sold a lot of common-date 65's within the last 6 weeks on eBay, and they all closed at $150-170. You will probably fare better with 64's, but I don't think you will get any DMPL's.

Chris

Jaredbd likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

I don't collect gold.

Coinchemistry 2012 and Jaredbd like this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Good thing you be missing that too :)

20. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Member

21. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

eBay + new coin collector = asking for trouble.

Unless you're buying from a known, reputable seller.

micbraun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted