Help me out with a decision

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mackwork, Mar 8, 2012.

1. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Hi. I'm working on a US quarter type set, on a budget. If both of these coins were the same price, which would you get? A has more wear, but not as much damage as B. I'm leaning towards B, because I really like the extra detail. (B is actually $10 less)

Thanks for the opinions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I like A the most.

4. joewhite73

joewhite73 Member

I would keep looking. I base this off of not wanting to buy a damaged coin and wanting more detain than A. Good luck.

5. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

how much is your budget?? personally id buy bothmy quests are...

is this per week? are you building this type setout of medium grade or just what you can find>??

6. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I like the more details in B but after looking more, I'd opt for A without the damage. But I'd agree with joewhite73, keep looking, don't settle on just the two so far you you found that you can afford now, there's plenty more out there available.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

A, B looks damaged

8. mackwork

Thanks for the opinions. Yes, A has some ring dings. Both are actually more than I wanted to spend, but A is about equal in detail to the Seated Liberty I have for the set. I really like the extra detail on B, and would have to spend more to get that in a coin without that damage. This is just for a type set holder - I won't be getting anything slabbed. I'll do some more looking. Decisions, Decisions! :)

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I would agree that if you had to choose one, it would be "A". The reason for this is simple. Building a Type Set often involves upgrades somewhere down the line, and if you found a replacement for it as your income increases, it would be easier to dispose of an undamaged coin at a fair price than a damaged one.

Chris

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Option C.
    Save your money until you can get a better coin.
    It'll take longer to fill that hole in your set but I suggest a nice VF.
    A VF has enough detail so that you can see what the Mint intended.

11. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

My choice would be C as well...the right coin/car/stereo/firearm/dog/house/shoes will ALWAYS come along eventually. Much of the fun is the search!

If, however, someone held a gun to my head and forced a choice, I'd go with B. I happen to like that "circulated cameo" effect of dark and light grey.

12. mackwork

Thanks for more opinions. I'm retired (forced into early retirement by the economy), so my income won't be increasing unless SS increases. :( I started out a couple days ago looking at ones for about $40-50, but all you can get for that is very worn coins with hardly any detail, and/or look like they're been scrubbed with steel wool. I'm now looking up near the $100 mark, and getting some better choices, but that's my limit. Still looking. :)

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

My vote if you had to choose amongst those two would be coin A. I was like you when I started and didn't mind a coin with a little damage for more detail, but have learned if you ever go to sell or upgrade the value for damaged coins is severe. Do yourself a favor and go lower grade versus damage anytime its an option between the two.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

If given the choice, most collectors would take the coin with less detail without the problem. I am among them as well.

I'd vote for coin A.

15. mackwork

Thanks folks! I'll drop B and keep looking.

16. PdlJmpr

PdlJmpr Junior Member

I would go with door number three. Better eye appeal AND less damage.

17. mackwork

I agree.

18. mackwork

I made an offer on this one. I think I'd be happier with this, if I get it.

[​IMG]

19. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Much better choice!
    Lance.

20. mackwork

Thanks Lance. I should have it next week.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

YES the 34 is a much better choice. I like that coin a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted