Help me out, half cent enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gboulton, Sep 1, 2011.

1. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

Before too long (could be any time between now and the next 6 months or so, depending in part on what I learn from this thread) I'll be on the prowl for a Draped Bust half cent for my 7070. While it likely won't be the most "valuable" coin in the set, it will be the first one of any real expense that I've purchased specifically FOR the set.

The problem is...I know nothing about half cents!

I have, of course, read voraciously about their history, the common varieties, and have at least a rough idea of market prices in various conditions...but what I don't have is a "feel" for the type. I've simply never been exposed to it, and it's somewhat difficult and expensive to get your hands on a significant number to really develop an appreciation for their finer points.

So, experts....

If you were only going to get ONE draped bust half cent, for a 7070 type set, what would you be looking for to get the most enjoyment and value for your purchase?

Here are my conditions for this little exercise:
    • My preferred budget is in the $250-$300 range, though i could be talked into spending as much as $500 if it was truly warranted.
    • Beyond filling all the holes in the album, I have no minimum grade. This isn't an album of "All ____ or better" coins. Having said that, I do demand nice eye appeal, and clear, legible, obvious devices, features, and lettering. I don't want to have to train someone to use a loupe to appreciate my set. :)
    • While I'm willing to engage in an auction to purchase such a coin, I DO NOT DO EBAY.
    • I have no long term intent to profit from reselling the coin.
    • TPG, or lack thereof, is unimportant in terms of grade. If, as experts, you deem it advisable in terms of authentication, then that would certainly be considered...but if the coin looks nice, and presents well, I'm relatively unconcerned about who thinks it's a 40 vs who says it's a 45.
    The sorts of things I'm hoping to learn here are, for example:
    • What are the common "gotchyas"? Is there a certain type of damage, wear, or weakness that's frequently hidden in photographs?
    • Are there certain sources/dealers/sites that are considered more reliable and respectable with this type?
    • Is there a particular variety or year that is "underappreciated" and might make a nice acquisition?
    • Are there ways to "sneak in to" an attractive and appealing coin at a "good price"?
    Like I said above, one can do research and read volumes...and, by all means, I'm willing to add any links or sites on the subject to my growing list of bookmarks...but it simply takes experience and exposure to know what makes a type "tick" if you will...and I simply don't have it, so I'm asking for help. :)

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

If you have time to shop around, then yes. The one pictured in my avatar I bought for under $100. Of course that was 12 years ago. But, with the focus on bullion, I think you can still get a nice piece for a nice price. On many pices of this series, the hair detail will be a little flat, but thats not wear so much as it's weak strikes. I'd look for a nice original surface with a light brown to medium brown color. I don't see many nice examples at shows or shops too often. Best of luck.
    Guy

4. gboulton

Wow...good to know!

In fact, I actually had YOU in mind when I started this thread, specifically BECAUSE of that avatar...I've thought several times "Wow...I'd like one like that for my 7070". So, pretty exciting to think a coin of that quality is out there within my budget.

And yes, I certainly have time and willingness to shop around and be patient. No deadline for the album, still have a long way to go to fill it and I'm not in a race with anyone. :)

Thanks for the input, Guy.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with Guy, the surfaces are very important. This old copper was very prone to corrosion. I also agree with him that this will nto be an easy, "go to a coin show and buy it" most likely. These are true collectible coins, and their conniseurs will buy everything that is pleasing to them. This coin, more than many, exemplifies that what you want to buy as a collector is exactly what is NOT in the coin stores. This is because they have already been bought by another.

I think this would best be served by telling a good dealer exactly what you want, and let him find one. He sees many more coins than you ever will, and will have a better shot of getting "fresh" coins than you.

This is why I advise people to buy these and large cents. They are classic collector coins that will be unaffected by what PM does, and are somewhat overlooked right now, but still hard to find a good one.

Chris

Edit: Tbh, I don't collect US anymore, but if I were to buy any US coins, it would either be one of these or a high grade Bust or SL half that could make me do it. I simply find them that interesting.

Edit2: Sorry, maybe I agreed with Cole, heck I agree with Coleguy!

6. gboulton

Good stuff, Chris. Thanks!

Exposure to such types is PRECISELY what I hoped to get out of starting a 7070. :) This, after all, is what makes the hobby fun, for me at least. :)

7. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice as well.. I've been really taken with the images posted here showing large and half cents recently and have been looking out for something in the same budget range and appeal~

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

9. gboulton

Thanks for the link!

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Keep an eye on the 1804's. The cheapest draped bust is probably the 1804 C-13 commonly available in nice condition and not overly costly. There are some other inexpensive 1804's (And some very expensive ones!) 1804 C-6 is common and has the added "sexiness" of being a spiked chin, but it also comes with a lot of distinctive die states and is widely collected by die state. That makes it more expensive than its rarity would indicate. (When each collector wants some fifteen to twenty pieces it kind of soaks them up.)

11. gboulton

Yeah, I'd seen several of the spiked chin coins out there, and had noticed some were "overpriced" in the sense that they seemed more expensive than similar hc's with similar mintages. That's a pretty good explanation of why that's so, and I appreciate the insight.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are other reasons. The spiked chin actually comes on I believe four different varieties and they have different rarities (There is also the C-3 variety which is the same die par as C-5 before the dies struck the bolt and created the spiked chin. A lot more C-3's have shown up in the past few years and there are I believe 13 of them now.) One of the spiked chins is C-7 which is an R-5 coin and rather costly.

13. gboulton

*sigh*

I so totally could not help myself. I tried...I really did try, I promise!

Went to the LCS today to pick up some currency folders. Figured I'd take some of what you guys have talked about in here into mind, and look at whatever DBHCs he had on hand...sorta a "pop quiz" for myself.

Now..I know what you're thinking. "Oh good lord, you bought one didn't you?"

Well...no. He had 4, 3 were below what I wanted for the 7070, though they provided some good chances to look for differences between weak strike and honest wear, and there was an 1804, so that made a good chance to try to identify whether it was a spiked chin or not, the type of 4, stems or not, etc.

The 4th was "ok"...probably what I'd call at the very bottom end of what I'm after. it quite possibly might have followed me home, had the price been a bit better. As it happens, however, we couldn't get together, and mindful of Chris's comments above about not finding the coin I want in an LCS, I passed on it.

I figured, then, that I'd escaped, wallet largely intact. Then this happened....

1826 Classic Head.jpg

I know, I know...not a DPHC...but it's as though the half cent gods created a coin JUST for me. better yet, by the time we'd haggled a bit, price was comfortably below what I'd have expected to pay.

So...this puts the DPHC purchase on hold for a few weeks, I suspect...but I just couldn't pass it up.

I can already see why some of you guys are addicted. :)

14. medoraman

Great coin man. Really nice.

I hope what I said about your LCS you don't take to mean you CANNOT find one there. My only point was that the coins that collectors usually want are not easy to find, since if they are available they quickly get bought. Most coins in your LCS are there because they mostly are common or have problems. It sounds trite, but rare coins are rare.

I find early US and colonial coins a lot like ancients, you buy good ones when you find them, since you may not run across another in quite a while.

You found a nice one there. :)

Chris

15. HULLCOINS

HULLCOINS Junior Member

Congrats on the newp!

16. gboulton

Thanks! :)

Oh, no, I quite took it in the spirit you meant. :) I understood you to mean just exactly what you said...rare coins are rare, so don't expect to find them laying on the counter at the LCS. :) As you say, however...it's certainly possible to find a nice one at the LCS...you just have to accept that it won't happen every trip, or even most trips.

Pretty much PRECISELY why this one came home with me. :)

Pleased you agree, thanks! :)

17. gboulton

Thanks!

18. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Thats a great looking classic head! I would have done the same as you in that situation.
    Guy

19. medoraman

Yeah, the more I look at the coin, the more I believe you will own that forever. Great condition, great age, great artistry. You will want to pass that one down to your children Gboulton. That really is what coin collecting is all about.

I kinda forgot what attracted me to US coins, especially early ones. I am glad to be reminded, and I am also glad I kept my US collection. I might have to go home tonight and dig some out just to look them over again.

If only the US would produce timeless artistry like this again instead of the same dead guys that have been on our coins for decades upon decades now, I think a lot more people would see the beauty we see.

Chris

20. gboulton

Thanks. That's quite the compliment coming from you, Guy. I appreciate it. :)

Wow. Speaking of compliments...

If I chose well enough to kick up those kinds of emotions in another collector, then I'm honored. Thanks for sharing that, Chris.

21. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

The compliments are well deserved....you obviously have a great eye for coins. I don't think you'll have any problem finding the pieces you need, at least as far as knowing what to look for and what to buy. Hopefully you'll post pics of future buys for us to see.
    Guy

Draft saved Draft deleted