Help me identify this large cent before I go crazy

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sam1994, Dec 5, 2022.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I do love a mystery like this.

Try "the Tater Trick", maybe, and see what happens?

Post progress pics of the process, if you do. I'm curious to see how it does.

Abramthegreat likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

OR...

Another quick and easy (and relatively low-risk) technique I've used is to get a small bowl of household strength hydrogen peroxide solution (basically the kind you might have in your medicine cabinet for first aid purposes), and heat it in the microwave to just short of boiling.

Plunk the coin in there, and it will fizz off a lot of the looser crud. You'll need to take the coin out of the solution (carefully, so as not to scald yourself), and repeat the process for the other side, since it mostly fizzes on the uppermost side when it's lying at the bottom of the bowl.

This works much as electrolysis does, but is not quite as risky, I think.

tibor and Abramthegreat like this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Also after that a soak in olive oil might help stabilize it. I can tell it’s definitely a later date large cent but beyond that not much

tibor and Abramthegreat like this.
  5. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Just so I understand, you could arrive at a "no earlier than" date from this, right?

Mainebill likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

Terminus post quem is the fancy term for it which archaeologists use. Coins are usually very handy in establishing TPQ!

tibor and KBBPLL like this.
  7. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Awesome, Latin! Interesting how I've subscribed to Archaeology mag for 10-20 years and never read that term before. Probably because it's geared towards laymen I guess. I suppose my question is how useful a coin date would be in the context of a building addition, since any large cent probably circulated for decades.

tibor and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It is a draped bust design and if the photo indicating One Cent on the reverse is accurate, then the date is between 1796 and 1807.

I have an underweight 168 grain variety that weighs 9.7 grams so the weight without ID is close to the half cent which also uses the Draped Bust design. There is significant material loss if it is ~29mm in diameter. Just a bit wider than the typical quarter.

There are several things to look at which would narrow the search if visible. But I can make out the hair ribbon on the left (which is sometimes confused with the cap of the earlier series on corroded or very worn coins.

My underweight coin is struck on a 168 grain standard Liberty Cap, the same weight as on all draped bust Cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted