Help me identify this German coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by David Lehman, Mar 6, 2018.

1. David Lehman

David Lehman New Member

Hi! First post here; long time reader, but I’ve finally signed up because I need the assistance of this outstanding community.

Can someone help me identify this coin? I inherited it from my grandmother, and can’t find much on it.

I know it’s German; and I know the “F” stamp was from the Stuggart mint. That’s all I’ve been able to find, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Found this on MA-Shops. It's not a coin, but some kind of bullion medal. The German description doesn't say anything about it. The F is not a mintmark, it may stand for the fineness of the gold (.980 fine). Maybe this can give you some leads

upload_2018-3-6_21-50-42.png

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Theodor Heuss, by the way, was the first president of this country. The Federal Republic of Germany was founded in 1949, and the (slightly modified) country name along with the "10 Jahre" suggests that the medal commemorates that tenth anniversary.

The republic's anniversary was in May 1959, and I assume the medal was issued when Heuss was still president. His second and last term ended in September '59.

Christian

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Oh, and while F is, on German coins, indeed the Stuttgart mint mark, I share Oldhoopster's view - in this case it probably means fein/fine. The "III DUK." is an interesting way of suggesting the weight by the way: The historical ducat (from Venice) had a fine weight of 3.44 grams. :) Such medals were made as 3 dukaten pieces as in your case, but also as 5 (V DUK) or 20 (XX DUK) for example.

Christian

lordmarcovan and Oldhoopster like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted