Help me identify this Chinese Dragon Dollar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kolhoznik, Feb 20, 2015.

1. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

image.jpg image.jpg I found this in the scrap bucket at a local silver/gold shop. I am satisfied that it is real. however I am having trouble with the year and then Krause number. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am guessing yours is fake. on the real ones the lettering on the Kiangnan Province has smaller letters and widely spaced out. we need a China expert in here to tell you more.

5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Size of letters, letters out of alignment, side ornaments different - a fake in my opinion, as well as a coin that's repeatedly faked.

6. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I agree that it's a fake, and what the heck is that round thing between "KIANG" and "NAN"?

7. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Krause says for some years the lettering is smaller and some variations are larger between 1898-1904. Secondly there are fine chop marks including the one noted above between kiang and nan. Thirdly if you look at the chop marks under 10 power loop you can see the marks hand been cleaned after they we're put in at some point in its history. Lastly I took it took it to another coin shop with a rather expensive piece of metallurgical equipment and the alloy came out correct at 90% silver. While not ironclad proof it did point me to being authentic. Please let the debate continue and if anyone recognizes the date it would be helpful. I will try to post better pics later.

8. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I've only found one authentic Dragon Dollar looking through junk bins.
    Out of perhaps 50 or 60 fakes.

9. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

The coin is dated 1898 (戊戌).

I do not have any Krause publications so I cannot help you with the Krause number.

How much does the coin weigh in grams?

Gary

harleytater likes this.
  10. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Krause gives you a choice of Y145a.1, Y145a.18, or Y145a.3 and I can't tell which variety it is until we have a larger scan. All of these appear to have a 6-pointed star in the legend, not a 6-petal lotus.

11. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Here are IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0233.JPG a couple of better pictures.

Attached Files:

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

13. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

14. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

No, in an earlier post I stated I had it tested at 90% silver

15. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

There is a possibility that this coin is genuine at first glance.

However, these are so heavily counterfeit - I cannot say with certainty.

16. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

From the second group of pictures I see some really sloppy dentils around the rims. 90% silver copies are also well known. In addition, that ying-yang chopmark is unusual, seems tailored to attract Western collectors. Have never seen or heard of a ying-yang choprmark on any of these coins. Based on just your pictures I would be highly skeptical of this coin.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  17. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

We need an accurate weight in grams.

Gary

harleytater likes this.
  18. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Here is the weight image.jpg

19. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

I checked two respected Chinese references which document five specimens of this coin.

The weights are 26.8 g, 27 g, 26.9 g, 26.8 g and 26.8 g.

A weight of 26.86 grams is correct for this coin.

While a correct weight does not ensure its authenticity, it certainly is a a promising sign.

Gary

kolhoznik and harleytater like this.
  20. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Thanks to all for their opinions and information. Is it worth taking a shot and sending it in to a TPG? If so I was thinking NGC but I would be interested in other recommendations. Also is there a forum on the web that specializes in Chinese coins?

21. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

Well I sent in to ANACS and it cam back Authentic EF 40 details (chopmarked/cleaned) which I expected so I am happy with the result. Can anyone tell me what a coin like this is going for on today's market? I have been told Krause is not the best on Chinese coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted