Help me identify this Central Asia coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Muzyck, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

This was in a lot of Central Asia study coins I purchased a few years back. I a usually pretty good at figuring these out but have had no luck with this one.

Silver. It weighs 4.5G. 17mm at the widest point.

I am assuming that the picture is of the obverse.

Looks like it has a date of 1287 AH (1870 CE)

Any ideas?

Unknown central Asia 1287AH 1870CE.JPG Unknown central Asia 1287AH 1870CE b.JPG

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    ancientcoinguru likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I am of no use, but think it's cool looking.

Afghanistan? One of a myriad array of Indian Princely States?

I concur on "Central Asian".

That's all I've got. *shrug*

Muzyck likes this.
  4. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I checked Bukhara, Khiva, Iran, Afghanistan. I didn't wander as far east as India. That would be daunting.:arghh: The only reference I used was The Standard Catalog. All of the other coins in the lot came from the same general area going back as far as old issues from Chach.

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I'm leaning in favour of Jodhpur or Kutch in western India and mid to late 19th century.

Muzyck likes this.
  6. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I would say, it's Bukhara.

Muzyck likes this.
  7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I looked in Numismaster for the date 1287. It came up with 58 coins, about a quarter of them can be easily eliminated. Of the remainder none match exactly, but then several did not have pictures. Do you have a picture of the reverse? The coin looks to be struck well of center, which is hard to match to pictures. None has the date as displayed.

8. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

The text on your coin fits best with a fragment of "Zarb dar al-Islam". This is the standart mint epithet of Khiva.

Muzyck likes this.
  9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Khiva is one of the coins which did not have a picture. There is only one coin listed. The basic information, from Numismaster, is

Basic Coin Information

Y# 6
    Denomination Tenga
    Country Central Asia\Khiva
    Government Khanate
    Ruler Sayyid Muhammad Rahim (AH1282-1328 / 1865-1910 AD)
    Coinage Type Hammered Coinage
    Composition Silver
    Notes Two distinct varieties of obverse inscription (legend distribution) exist. AH1294-1313 dated strikes are posthumous issues.

Muzyck likes this.
  10. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Thanks for the feedback. I would have expected that it was Khiva or Bukhara. There is only a small fragment of inscription on the reverse. Difficult to get any useful photos with my photo set up.

11. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

edited; Picture added to the first post

12. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Weight and design of the Khiva coin you refer to does not fit.
    You'd better have put the picture of the other side also in the starting post. Because the combination may better fit with Persia than Khiva.
    My alternative would be that this is a Qajar (dynasty), Qiran (denomination).
    The mint formula "Zarb dar al-XXX" is also used on many of these. Unfortunately the defining part for the mintplace is not on your coin.

Edit: here you are: not the same year, but close enough,
    https://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/mycoinfacts/ah1286-kran-shiraz-vf35/2005500/0

Muzyck likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You guys are AWESOME!!!

14. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

I have another one from the same lot. Different era. Thinking of starting up another thread for that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted