Help me identify these.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kazinc, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Kazinc

Kazinc New Member

Hello all,

I'm a novice coin collector, and I have had these in my possession for over 8 years, since I started coin collecting. I threw them into a box after I had found them in my old house's basement. I had just opened the box since moving and forgot about them completely.

I have no clue what these coins are, or what they're worth. I would like to identify them and figure out what I have here.

-Tim

EDIT added photos lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    df oieddno edinssd and stevex6 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Tim,
    I am struggling with this one. The photos are a little blurred. :woot:

Kazinc and furryfrog02 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Pics would be a great start :p

Kazinc likes this.
  5. Kazinc

Kazinc New Member

Just realized I didn't attach a photo. Bear with me haha :facepalm:

6. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

upload_2016-4-30_1-58-55.jpeg bearing with you....

stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

They look authentic from what I can see, but we need to see both sides of each coin, preferably in separate images in order to fully identify.

Mikey Zee, stevex6 and dougsmit like this.
  8. Kazinc

Kazinc New Member

Here's a better look.

Attached Files:

stevex6 and chrsmat71 like this.
  9. Kazinc

Kazinc New Member

And here is the last coin. This one is in bad shape and is bent up. Doubt this one will be traceable.

Attached Files:

10. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

The first is a Licinius iovi conservatori possibly sirmium mint?
    second is Aurelian , the reverse is photographed upside down....not sure of reverse type
    third is a siscia minted constantinople city commemorative
    4th is a valens I believe, but not sure of reverse type which is again pictured upside down
    5th looks like a provincial type of septimius severus
    6th is supposed to be bent, its a scyphate or cup coin, its byzantine. I think they are called latin ruler types, the rough later ones.
    sure someone will fill in the blanks.....

11. noname

noname Well-Known Member

That Patina on the Aurelian looks beautiful!

df oieddno edinssd likes this.
  12. Kazinc

Kazinc New Member

Thank you! Helps a lot!

13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I believe @YOC has it nailed as stated....including the S. Severus provincial....

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't know how far you want to go on ID but the SS Provincial is a one assarion of Nicopolis ad Istrum, Moesia Inferior with a reverse showing Hermes. There are hundreds of varieties of these little bronzes and a similar array of coins four times this size. I believe many of them show statues of the gods that were in the city since some of them are definitely in poses matching surviving large marbles and bronzes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicopolis_ad_Istrum

Your coin is identifiable by the obverse portrait (definitely Septimius Severus) and a strong legend on the reverse left naming the city. Today we call the city by the Latin name 'ad Istrum' meaning 'on the Ister river'. The missing part of your reverse legend said this in Greek (probably abbreviated). A little research will turn up slightly more well preserved examples online so you can get the whole picture.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2710460

This research could done with each of your coins and is part of the hobby as many of us practice it. I agree with YOC that the last one is probably what we call Latin Rulers which are always crude if not just plain ugly but yours could be another scyphate issue just in horrid condition. I hate to say any coin is not worth the effort to research but you will achieve more success if you do the others first. Getting help here would be more likely if your photos were a bit better. We do not need to see your wood desk but larger images of the coins (both sides) would help.

Mikey Zee and 7Calbrey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted