help me identifiy this coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by granna, Dec 18, 2005.

1. granna

granna New Member

I have got a coin that is silver has a 1 on one side it is a 2001 coin it also has yi yuan on it some signs on the other side is a flower and the words zhongguo renmin yinhang. please let me know what it is I have.

Thank-you,
    granna

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum Granna. It sounds like some kind of Chinese coin.

Charlie

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Sorry that's not silver but nickel copper.

That is indeed a coin from the Republic of China. That is only worth by face vault which is around 12 US cents.

Is it this one here?

A picture from worldcoingallery: [​IMG]

5. kvasir

kvasir Show me the Money**

Should be the People's Republic of China. They are two entirely different governments. "Zhongguo Remmin Yinhang" simply is the pinyin transliteration of the issuing bank that appeared on the obverse: (The) People's Bank of China.

Granna, in case you are not aware, the People's Republic of China is the one with over 1 billion population, while the Republic of China is the one commonly referred to as Taiwan.

The flower is chrysanthemum, a popular floral in Chinese culture to represent longevity.

6. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

James,yes,this is a Commie Chinese coin.The currency is called the Yuan.It is divided into 10 Jiao or 100 Fen.

The Taiwanese currency on the other hand is called the New Taiwanese Dollar,which is divided into 100 Cents.Confusingly,a character for 'Yuan' is used to represent Dollars,just like on Hong Kong coins.Both Pick & Krause are wrong to refer to the Taiwanese
    currency as the Yuan.

Aidan.

7. kvasir

kvasir Show me the Money**

Yes, you are preaching to the choir... The character used in HK, as well as Macau, coins is 圓 and interchangeable for the yuan (元 ) character in everyday practice. Yuan is not an exclusive RMB term as it is a generic term referring to a round object -- in this case, a coin. As such, the Macanese pataca is officially called a 圓 in Chinese. It is therefore perhaps a wrong translation to refer to the Taiwanese currency as a "dollar" when the equivalent term for Mainland China remains untranslated in the West. The term is however translated due to political reasons most likely to make the Taiwanese currency look distinct from the RMB.

In Chinese, the "dollar" is called "yuan" generically as a unit. It's universal that the Japanese Yen is refered to in Chinese as "Japanese Yuan" 日圓/日元. Also many Chinese still call the Euro 歐元 /ou yuan/ instead of the direct transliteration /ou lang/. The Dollar is almost always refered to as 圓/元 in Chinese even though it is not a direct transliteration nor direct equivalent. However, there are special transliterated terms for the Pound, Guilder, Franc, Mark etc.

On the same token (pardon the pun), the "jiao/got" 角 is used in HK to refer to 10 cents. The word on the coin is "ho" 毫 or simplified to 毛 (mao) in Mainland China and it means the same. 毫/毛 is used commonly in speech both in HK and China. The HK post and quite a few selected places do tend to use 角 more often in print. Similarly, 角/毫 is used in Macau to refered to 10 avos.

I guess the catalogues are just following the Chinese practice on referring to the Taiwanese currency.

Draft saved Draft deleted