Help Me Grade this 1976 T1 $1 Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ace71499, Feb 10, 2018.

1. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Hey Guys,
    I am having a rather hard time grading this coin. I found it CRH a while back and didn't realize it's rarity until now! Anyway I was looking at the PCGS site at the MS 66 "example" they had and it seems to have a rather large amount of marks on it. I feel my coin has equal or less marks than that one. I don't know maybe I'm just surprised at what did get graded as a 66...
    Do the grading companies grade Ikes more "easily" because they all have perfuse bag marks?
    Anyway here's the coin in questions. Any opinions are welcome. It has a light gold and purpleish hue when angled correctly, but I couldn't capture it.
    20180210_212856.jpg 20180210_212901.jpg 20180210_212912.jpg 20180210_212918.jpg 20180210_212920.jpg 20180210_213329.jpg 20180210_213346.jpg
    Thanks for looking!
    Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I didn't even know they had rolls of Ikes available!

Ericred likes this.
  4. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

Well, it came in a batch of 100 other Ikes that someone had brought in... not rolled but in bags. I still count it as CRH.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

Hi wellcome I see allot of scratches on this coin it might grade MS63 according to the redbook retails for $8.00, big $150.00 difference If it were graded at MS65. Check the others you have if any better than this one check it out. Good luck.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Moreso than other series of smaller and / or softer coinage, Ike's can be difficult to grade because many imperfections are not post-strike marks, but pre-strike flaws in the planchet that did not strike out. One must learn to distinguish between the two in order to properly grade clad Ike Dollars.

While I don't necessarily agree with the level of forgiveness accorded coins with numerous pre-strike flaws, I acknowledge and accept it.

You will need to determine which marks occurred after strike, and grade based on those.

ldhair likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There's several scratches on his head and a huge gouge on the eyebrow.
    The lettering on the reverse seems to show wear.
    AU-58.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

AU55 is. Lots of hairlines on Ike.

9. Ericred

Ericred Active Member

Lucky you, a bag full of Ikes

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm at AU something.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yup, that coin grades AU. This should not be surprising, since you found it in a batch from circulation.

The difference between AU and UNC is not based on the number of marks on the coin, but the fact that there is wear. The dull high points on his jaw and cheekbone in your first picture are clear indications of wear.

Draft saved Draft deleted