Help me grade this 1870 3 cent nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sean5150, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think? Can't tell if it's MS or AU. IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2421.JPG

Paddy54 and NSP like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kSigSteve

kSigSteve Active Member

Nice coin. I would guess around AU-55. Very nice doubling in the second A in America. No expert here but I am sure one will chime in shortly.

Now that I looked more closely. The entire USA appears doubled.

4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Looks like "UNITED" has slight doubling also. Now from the 1800'S is it DD or did they come up with the term MD back then??

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Looks like some things going on the reverse - die gouges? die clash? Interesting. Top and right side of the reverse pic. Plus also looks like some die scratches on the obverse too - lots going on.
    But I'd say AU 50/53 - but hard to tell if any mint luster left from the pics!

6. Sean5150

There is definitely something going on around USA, just don't know enough about 3 cent nickels to say what it is.

7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I think the doubling looks to me like Longacre Doubling. You can see it on the last A of America. There is definitely clashing on the coin. You can see it on the obverse and the reverse. It looks pretty nice to me. I'd say AU but it could be MS, not sure without different photo's. It looks like possibly a weak strike, especially since this is a cupronickel composition. If the price is right, I'd say go for it. It has a lot of interesting things going on with it.

Paddy54 and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Can't see the luster but I'm at 63 or 64. Nice clash. Really nice coin.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  9. Sean5150

There's a little luster, but it's hard to take pics because the coin is so small. Here's one that at least shows a little variance in the fields. IMG_2425.JPG

10. Sean5150

That would be nice, you think it's worth sending in?

11. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Coin looks MS to me. I would say the doubling is MD and not a doubled die. As others have said, the reverse shows a clash. Over all, it looks like a nice coin.

12. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Not to me. It would just add to your cost in the coin.

13. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Nickels don't have the same booming luster that silver coins have....also strike weakness is pretty typical because the metal itself is harder.
    So yes, that looks to be solid MS.....I won't pin down a grade because in the first photo there are some hairlines above lady Liberty's head. Might make it go Unc Details.

Maxim Hofstede likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm thinking Mint State with a very nice die clash. It looks like Longacre doubling to me, but I'd need to see it in hand because that's hard to tell with the photos.

15. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Looks like a 58 to me

Paddy54 and Maxim Hofstede like this.
  16. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Looks more like weakly struck MS coin to me. My guess is around MS-62.

17. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Nice MS coin and both sides have clashes too ...

18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'm looking at the flatness in the end of the hair curl and at the top of the third column/roman numeral on the reverse. Is this typical of a weak strike?

19. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Wanna trade?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NSP and coinman1234 like this.
  20. 70Shark

70Shark Member

The ‘flatness’ of those areas are the result of numerous die clashes. The flatness of the lower hair curls corresponds to the flatness of the leafs at 1:00. The flatness of the first numeral is from the cheek. I normally look at the lower beads and leaf veins for a truer indication of grade. Also take a close look at the date with a loop. There are a couple re-punched dates for 1870. Letters are Longacre Doubling. She’s MS.

JPeace$ likes this.
  21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Very nice 3 cent'er. I really like the die clashing.

Draft saved Draft deleted