Help me determine the grade, Please

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Jersey magic man, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I was wondering what grade you all might give this 1886 Morgan.
    Please note that someone in the past had this coin "gold" plated. In hand it is much shinier than in the pictures. I suppose all the specs are from the plating. Given all that and that its monetary value (over face) is nil, and the die crack on the left wing, what would you grade its condition? ALSO, what gives with the dot under the E in UNITED? I don't see that dot on other pictures of 1886's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Ex- Jewelry and gold plated....
    Maybe UNC Details.
    Don't know about the dot. Eventually there was a tiny speck on the coin while beeing gold plated.
    I assume silver value.

4. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

Uncirculated or close to it as far as details go.
    You may be able to get a few $ over melt value from somebody who wishes to make it back into a jewelry piece.
    Looks like damage on the wing rather than a die crack.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The coin has no grade as problem coins cannot be graded. And that one is a problem coin for more than 1 reason, although one is more than enough.

At this point the coin is a novelty, nothing more. And as such it is worth more as a novelty than its silver value is.

enamel7 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Plating this otherwise nice looking Morgan has lowered its value to melt.

7. Jersey magic man

Thanks all. I pretty much figured as much. But with all that aside, I was wondering if the coin had not been plated what it might grade. That dot under the the E in united is not from plating. I have looked at it from all directions, and it appears to have been struck on the coin.

8. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

@Jersey magic man, I see what you're asking for about the grade sans plating, but there really is no way to tell. The plating would/could be covering up bag marks, cleaning, etc., so the true grade would be impossible to figure.

Trying to grade a coin without taking into account it's current state, would be like saying it's an MS-70, because if we remove all detrimental marks from any coin, they would all be 70's.

But... I'd say this coin would still be a details coin even without the plating or solder marks, as it looks to be damaged on the left wing. But at best, nothing higher then a 63, and most likely an AU 58 - marks on her cheek indicate a circulated coin to me.

9. Jersey magic man

Thanks Beefer518, that’s what I wanted to know. Plating covering up marks is well taken. I guess I will just use this as a poker marker.

10. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

just a space filler until something else comes along or a clump of 90% silver

Draft saved Draft deleted