Help Me By Showing Your Coins of Johannes

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I am currently shopping for a coin of the Western usurper Johannes, his history and dramatic downfall are interesting to me. It looks like most of what is out there are tiny AE4s. Can you fine folks show me your examples so I have a better idea of what to shop for and where to set my expectations?

Hamilcar Barca and Theodosius like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

JOHANNES

[​IMG]
    Johannes
    AE nummus 1.4g 10mm
    Obv: DN IOHANN-ES PF AVG, pearl-diademed, draped bust right
    Rev: SALVS REI-PVBLICAE, Victory holding trophy and dragging captive, Chi-Rho to left
    RM in ex, Rome mint (struck 423-425 AD)
    Ref: RIC X 1913
    Ex: @ValiantKnight

4. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

johannes2.jpg
    Johannes. 423-425 AD. AE 12mm
    Rome mint. Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / Victory advancing left, holding trophy over shoulder and dragging captive; christogram in left field.

5. Hamilcar Barca

Hamilcar Barca Well-Known Member

Here is mine:
    upload_2021-12-18_8-49-8.png
    Johannes. Usurper, AD 423-425. Æ (11.5mm, 1.35 g, 6h). Rome mint, 1st officina. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Victory advancing left, holding trophy over shoulder and dragging captive; staurogram to left; P/-//[RM]. RIC X 1916; LRBC 833.
    Yep, small. Looks like someone gave him a bloody nose.

6. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

Here are some of mine. The first 5 (rows 1-2) are all Rome mint, RIC 1916, officinae 1-5 (P, S, T, Q, E). The officina letter is to the left of the standing Victory, below the chrismon ; the first coin in the third row is Rome, RIC 1920, with the officina letter Q to the left of RM in the exergue; the second coin is the scarcer of his 2 types, with VICTORIA AVCC legend instead of SALVS REIPUBLICAE. Mint can not be read; it’s either Rome or Arles. To the left of Victory’s hip may be a letter “S”. If that is so, it is Rome, RIC 1910. If not, it is Arles, RIC 1911.
    Johannes.jpg

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Interesting nummi, though hardly good portraiture at this stage in the life of the empire. Don't know where the die cutters from the time of Honorius went.

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

9. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Have you tried https://www.ma-shops.com/ . I tried the search "Johannes"
    and I didn't find anything similiar to the coins shown here.

Aethelred likes this.
  10. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I’ve tried Vcoins and MA-Shops, I know not to expect a beauty, but I have found one I love yet either. I have seen a couple past auctions CNG that would have worked, but those are long gone.

11. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

Of course, we don't know, but I like to think they all went off to become eremite monks to dwell in the deserts of Egypt!

tibor and ancient coin hunter like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted