Help in identification of roman provincial

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, May 4, 2019.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Please can someone help me identify the next coin, 18 mm, 4.60 g, roman provincial, but it has little letters on reverse.
    image(5).jpg
    It seems that the role model for this coin, or vice versa, were these issues of Arcadius, Theodosius and Honorius:
    image(6).jpg
    image(7).jpg
    Thanks.

ominus1 and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Caracalla ? - see here

Weight & diameter are way off, but looks like a portrait of Caracalla to me. Hopefully this helps.

4. gogili1977

Maybe, but my coin is much smaller (18 mm opposite 45 mm) and bare headed.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I agree that the first looks like Caracalla, but that's all I can say.

PS- Arcadius on the last one, maybe? Neat equestrian reverse there.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm, that's going to be tough because there are so many candidates for this "emperor on horseback" reverse.

The portrait looks to be of the Severan era or shortly thereafter. It reminds me of Doug's young Caracalla sestertius, which looks atypical for an imperial Caracalla portrait.

I think the obverse legend starts "MAVP..." (for Marcus Aurelius ... ) so it's going to one of the following emperors, although I'm not sure if all of them have at least some provincial coins which begin with MAVP without other preceding titles. Severus Alexander definitely does though.

Caracalla (Marcus Aurelius Severus Antoninus Augustus)
    Elagabalus (Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus)
    Severus Alexander (Marcus Aurelius Severus Alexander Augustus)

A quick search shows a couple of bare-headed bronzes of SevA with "emperor on horseback, holding (something stick-like)" from Odessa, Moesia Inferior but it may be a smaller denomination:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2448622
    Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 6.52.50 AM.png
    MOESIA INFERIOR. Odessos. Severus Alexander (222-235). Ae.
    Obv: M AVP ALEZANΔPOC.
    Bare head right.
    Rev: OΔΗCCEITΩN.
    Emperor on horseback right, holding spear.
    Varbanov 4417.
    Condition: Extremely fine.
    Weight: 2.07 g.
    Diameter: 14 mm.

A better example is in Wildwinds.

Whether the thing being held is a sceptre, spear, or bipennis (with axe head off flan), I don't know.

Maybe someone who has Varbanov can help you out by looking for this reverse type under Caracalla and Elagabalus too.

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Odessos is a good guess, given the paucity of letters in the reverse inscription. Moreover, the horseman riding right is extremely common on coins of this city, because Heros, the city god, is known as a horseman god. Coins of this city from the pre-Roman era commonly feature this rider-god and it was not uncommonly featured on coins of the Roman period as well.

Of the Severans, though, Moushmov only lists this reverse for Severus Alexander and not for Elagabalus or Caracalla.

This is not to say that the coin couldn't be from another city. But I think @TIF is on the right track.

gogili1977 and TIF like this.
  8. gogili1977

Bravo TIF, as you have noticed that the portraits of a Doug's sestertius and this provincial bronze are very similar. If this provincial coin is of Severus Alexander then possibly the die cutter did not know how the emperor looked like, so he worked with portrait familiar to him. For example, I noticed that in the fifth year of minting in provincia Viminacium, the portrait of Philip has some of the looks of Gordian III.

9. gogili1977

Can someone help me to identify the next provincial coin, it was cheap (5 eur), so I buy it:
    image.jpg

Justin Lee, Marsyas Mike and Bing like this.
  10. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Antioch, Pisidia? (ANTIOCH GEN COL or similar) Tyche left with grain ears?

gogili1977 likes this.
  11. gogili1977

Thank you Justin.

12. gogili1977

Please, can someone help me to identify the next billon denarius. The local seller has put a price of 40 eur and says it is a rare. I saw that Septimius has that reverse with that legend RIC 505. Thanks in advance.

Denarius.jpg

Bing likes this.
  13. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It's from an unknown eastern mint. Here's the listing (331A):

Capture.JPG

But that has a slightly different reverse legend. They footnote the coin:

Capture 1.JPG

Yours appears to be the one cited in the footnote as A.S.F.N. 1886, p. 102.

Lanz sold one two years ago.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    gogili1977 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted