Help IDing roman republic bronze

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by beef1020, Jul 24, 2016.

1. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I picked this up recently and need some help IDing the coin. I do not have Crawford, but have been looking through the RBW catalogue and Andrew McCabe's website, but with no luck.

roman_as.jpg

coin weighs 17.77 grams and is 30.1 mm wide.

How are the roman republic bronze organized in crawford? As I understand it, a lot of them have control marks to identify the moneyer, is there also a series of anonymous coins, and if so how are they numbered by crawford?

Any help and general background, as well as links to online resources, would be greatly appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Possibly something like:-

Anonymous Æ As. Rome, after 211 BC. Laureate head of Janus; I above / Prow of galley right; I above, ROMA in exergue. Crawford 56/2; Sydenham 143. 27.56g, 34mm,

image.jpeg

(Courtesy Greg Heinrich)

4. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

As far as I can tell this is a fully anonymous issue and I don't see any remnants of any sort of symbol or letters. For the fully anonymous issues, the best resource is Andrew McCabe's paper on anonymous RR bronzes. You'll need to login to access Academia.edu but you can use facebook or create a free account and if you haven't already you should create one because it's a great resource. Crawford is a great resource, and one that I highly recommend picking up at some point because it's overall the best starting point for studying Republican coins, but he made some mistakes on the anonymous bronzes, both in that he missed certain series(i.e. an anon series related to the Crawford 106 "Staff and club" issues from Etruria and another related to the Crawford 50 "Anchor" issue) and that in the plates for RRC are some anonymous bronzes from these missed series lumped into other anonymous series.

These are easy mistakes to make, but a lot of work has happened in the past few decades in this space, and McCabe does a good job of identifying these various anonymous series in his paper and pointing out exactly what you want to look for to sort these things out. I have a pretty good idea of what yours is just from looking at it but I haven't compared against my actual references yet, so take a look at that paper that I linked and see what you come up with and if you need any more pointers, feel free to message me and I'll take a second look tomorrow when I have a bit more time.

rrdenarius and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

6. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

Thanks red_spork and Topcat. I think this is the Crawford cf. 197-198 series. I was looking through the McCabe groups on his website but can't match it fully there either. It looks like K1 but the weight is low. I am wondering if it's not an imitation...

Draft saved Draft deleted