Help identifying Roman coins?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MGoodTrot, Jul 18, 2019.

1. MGoodTrot

MGoodTrot New Member

Attached Files:

Theodosius, ominus1 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. MGoodTrot

MGoodTrot New Member

Thank you so much for the help!

5. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Welcome to ancient coins - a Victorinus and a Gallienus are a fine way to start collecting. Coins of this era can be a bit difficult to attribute because - especially the Gallienus (on the right in your photos) because Gallienus issued a huge number of reverse types from several different mints.

The reverse on your Galienus is interesting - perhaps not as "typical" as some. If possible, if you could get some clearer photos, me (or the many on the Forum more experienced than I am) could help you attribute them further, if you get stuck. A lot of the fun in collecting ancients is figuring them out, but sometimes in the beginning I would feel a bit overwhelmed. We're here to help!

Here are a few Gallienus antoniniani from my collection:

Securitas reverse:
    Gallienus - Ant SECVRIT PERP Milan Jul 19 (0).jpg

Antelope from the "Zoo Series":
    Gallienus - Antelope Nov 2018 (0).jpg

Apollo:

Gallienus - SALVS Apollo Ant Feb 2018 (0).jpg
    Pegasus:

Gallienus boxed July 2018 (0).jpg

6. MGoodTrot

MGoodTrot New Member

This is really interesting, thank you! I did not know that there were so many different designs attributable to different themes and mints. I'll get some better pictures although unfortunately the coin I have is not in as good condition as those really nice examples if yours - the detail is remarkable given the time period.

Theodosius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  7. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Welcome @MGoodTrot . Thanks for sharing your finds!
    Your blog said the coins were from a hoard in Suffolk. Do you have any find information on the coins? There is an interesting web site for UK Portable Antiquities that gives details on registered finds. You can see if your coins are listed on the site. I looked for coin hoard Victorinus Suffolk and found 15 hits.
    https://finds.org.uk/database/search/results/q/coin+hoard+Victorinus+suffolk

Roman Collector, Marsyas Mike and TIF like this.
  8. MGoodTrot

MGoodTrot New Member

@Marsyas Mike this is as good a picture as I can get, if it is any help.

Thanks for that @rrdenarius , I didn't know it existed. My only hesitation is that I bought them from a shop and the seller just said they were found in a hoard in Suffolk, but I have no evidence or detail!

Attached Files:

rrdenarius and Marsyas Mike like this.
  9. MGoodTrot

MGoodTrot New Member

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  10. Marsyas Mike

I am thinking that is Mars on the reverse, RIC 236. Numista has an example, with the multitude of different types listed (I warned you these can be confusing - but fun too):

"Mars, helmeted, in military attire, standing or walking left, holding olive-branch in right hand and leaning on shield with left hand; spear resting on his left arm.
    A or H or X in left field, or A in right field.
    Exists as PACIFERO or PACIF."

Gallienus - Mars from Numista.jpg

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces62593.html

Warning - I could be wrong about this - but what I can see of your type, this might be the one. Note the long "ape arm" holding the shield - similar to yours? The helmet too is clear on yours.

MGoodTrot and Roman Collector like this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That Gallienus has the MARTI PACIFERO (Mars, the bringer of peace) reverse type. Its Sear catalog number is 10288. Its RIC number is 236. It could be further subclassified by bust type and officina number (the letter in the left field).

Here's an example:

1231416.jpg

MGoodTrot, Bing and Marsyas Mike like this.
  12. Marsyas Mike

If Roman Collector says it's RIC 236, I feel much more secure in my hunch!

MGoodTrot likes this.
  13. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

There are likely to be other Roman finds in Suffolk, throughout the years, but one hoard, of 60 denarii, was found near Cookley, Suffolk, in August 2018 (about a year ago). Officially declared to be treasure. Could be from one of Boudicca's battles, according to an expert, and are dated to the time of her reign.

14. MGoodTrot

MGoodTrot New Member

OK, I am going to go back to the shop and try to find out more I think!

15. MGoodTrot

MGoodTrot New Member

I also have this one, looks like it says Victoria AVG on the obverse? (It is a task trying to decipher the partial writing).

Attached Files:

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This is a prime example of a type style common at that time. IIII is M, II has a tiny connector and is A The other letters are pretty standard. The letter in the field is an A. Your computer has a thousand fonts available to it. Don't expect the Romans to use any of them but allow them their few odd ones.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  17. Marsyas Mike

Yep, that's Victoria on the reverse. Here is a good site for Gallienus - https://gallienus.net/

Everything appears on one page, so as a search I looked for VICTORIA AVG (note the "U" is a "V" in Roman inscriptions). I got 34 hits, so you can see this is a popular type. The star in the field is what makes it easier - RIC 663A (I think - I didn't exhaust all the possibilities).

As Doug posted above, you have to keep a kind of loose idea about what a Roman letter from this era looks like - M as IIII as he notes. This adds to the thrill of the hunt!

Tip on posting coin photos on Coin Talk - hit the "full image" button and the coin will appear in your post full size.

MGoodTrot likes this.
  18. MGoodTrot

MGoodTrot New Member

Thanks, that site is very useful for identification! Noted regarding the photos...I did wonder why mine weren't embedded like the rest.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted