Help identifying Greek coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nikolas, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Nikolas

Nikolas New Member

This coin was acquired by my great grandpa back in the 1940’s in a large collection he bought from another individual. My grandpa had it put into a necklace for my grandma sometime back in the 1970’s. I’ve had a hard time finding anything about this coin or if it’s even real and the chicken scratch cursive writing on the envelope is pretty hard to read. Thanks for any helpful info!

DE8CD5C1-F941-406A-ABC4-9FB4996F9485.jpeg 1811088A-1D11-458D-8547-BCFBF8B44B38.jpeg B50B83DD-4FE6-4D50-9CCA-84C017DFD0B8.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

It sure looks like a modern reproduction to my amateur eye. Hopefully someone will come along with a sound argument for it not being one as I like the romantic story behind it.
    I can't read the handwriting. What does the ticket say?

Sulla80 and Clavdivs like this.
  4. Nikolas

Nikolas New Member

Below “Greek - 350 B.C.” I believe the top two lines say “I have been unable to place this coin.”. The rest I can make out a couple words but not sure what it all says.

5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

I think it says something like this:
    “Greek 350 BC
    I have been unable to place this …..
    If I could be sure of the (assigned?) ……., I would try to identify it. Signed? James Wilk??”
    Maybe someone can add/correct this.

6. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like any type I've ever seen before. I would think it may be some sort of fantasy coin.

7. Nikolas

Nikolas New Member

Good guess at the writing PeteB. I feel you’re on the right track from the words I can make out written on it also.

Draft saved Draft deleted