Help identifying German Medal

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mark Metzger, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I’d love to learn more about this “birthday” medal I recently acquired as pet of an estate collection. It is in beautiful shape. I can’t find a similar one online to determine value. Thanks in advance!
    5BDA72E4-55DC-4A31-9017-9C840A02ADB8.jpeg C5259C34-E99E-4EB3-A81E-D0FE99DBCFA5.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

The man on the front is Luitpold Karl Joseph Wilhelm Ludwig, Prince Regent of Bavaria. (December 12th 1921-December 12th 1912) On the reverse it says: for the 70th birthday.
    You probably already knew this but I thought it wouldn't help to add...

4. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Neat privately made medal. With the flat loop we know that it was not a government issue. The medal is dated 1891 and since it is for his 70th birthday we know that He was born in 1821. If we look really close we can see the maker's name "Lauer" at about 8 o'clock obverse.

Abramthegreat and Mark Metzger like this.
  5. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

A little digging and I found the following on numista as I collect German notgeld. If you type in Lauer and select exonumia, this maker produced notgeld, medals, transportation tokens, etc. See in the first photo the similarities to your medal. This might lead you somewhere, though the medal you have isn't listed on numista. But I've found exonumia is quite sparse.
    Screenshot_20220816-234436.png Screenshot_20220816-234457.png

Draft saved Draft deleted