Help identifying coin/token

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Charitycoincollector, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Hi all I have this copper penny token - or what appears to be a token but having difficulty finding out any information on it. It is heavily tarnished with one side being fully worn away. The only identifying feature is an illustration of a figure in a framed cage or perhaps gallows? Any ideas would be appreciated.
    IMG_7799.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Here you go.

Yours is a pretty rough example, and thus not worth very much monetarily, but a cool ca. 1811-1812 British token type, nonetheless.

daveydempsey likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

PS- I thought gallows at first, too. Those are worth some $$$. But then I realized it must be some kind of machinery, and altered my search keywords. Got lucky in my second or third Google Image search. Then to eBay to find those sold examples, for some sort of ballpark range on value.

daveydempsey likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

It did look like a loom to me when I was scratching my head and image searching. I believe the keywords "weaving token" or "Conder weaving token" or some combination like that was what enabled me to stumble across a picture of the type. As mentioned, I was previously unfamiliar with it.

daveydempsey likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It is a weaving loom, and it is a Norwich token, and it is from the period AFTER the Conder tokens, the 1800 - 1817 period

8. lordmarcovan

So I eventually determined. This one was educational.

Draft saved Draft deleted