Help Identifying Chinese Naval Badge

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by norantyki, May 17, 2021.

1. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

Hi All!

I just bought this on Ebay on a whim. It appears to be a badge relating to the navy of the Republic of China. There also appears to be a maker's mark on the reverse. Other than that, I know nothing about it, and would be most appreciative if someone could translate the Chinese / give me more info on it. I know the photos aren't the best (they are from the listing) - I'll try to get better ones up when I actually get the item.

Many thanks in advance!

chin1.jpg chin2.jpg

john65999 and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Im more of the opinion that its Japanese and related to WWII or military. It just looks more of a Sakura petal.

capthank likes this.
  4. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

The reason that I went down the RoC route is that a variant of this insignia is still used by the Taiwanese navy today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China_Navy

Also, the characters look Chinese to me (although I might be wrong - I do not read Chinese). Agreed about the flower though.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    capthank likes this.
  5. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

I agree that the piece is possibly a Taiwanese navy badge. Just checked with my friend for a translation. The 2 characters in the front says it is a reward for hard-working labor. Characters on the back says it is from a Navy Technology Research Center.

Hope this helps.

norantyki and capthank like this.
  6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Ah this is fascinating. The navy was formed when it was part of a Japanese colony. Thus there is some resemblance.

7. Maurice Benas

Maurice Benas Member

My wife translated the Japanese as:
    It's an award medal presented to good workers at the Japanese Naval Technology Center (location is unknown)
    Back of the badge: Kaigun Gijyutsu Tenkyu Go (Naval Technology Center)
    Front of the badge: Translates as - Good Worker

thomas mozzillo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted