Help identifying Chinese Cash coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mark Metzger, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone could help with this Chinese cash coin. I tried some online diagnostic sites but can’t figure it out. It is thicker and better struck than ones I’ve seen in the past so it very well could be a contemporary restrike. Thanks in advance.
    B7D92B24-2695-44B7-A015-2FD59ED22C79.jpeg 2BA80338-16D7-4337-975E-00E6B5935D87.jpeg

Chris B likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Xianfeng (1851-61), 10 cash, Board of Works mint. There were a huge number of high-denomination multiple cash coins issued during the Xianfeng reign, due to the economic disruption caused by the Taiping Rebellion and the Second Opium War. Can't say for sure if it's original or later, but nothing stands out to me to indicate that it is anything other than original, but this type is pretty common so a copy is less likely than for some other types (like the very-high-denomination coins, 1,000 cash pieces).

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Looks like a souvenir token, not a real coin, in my opinion. Have you measured and weighed it? JMO

5. hanbaili

hanbaili New Member

Xian Feng 10-cash, board of works. It is an authentic one I believe based on my collection experiences.

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

It looks too perfect tbh for something that's cast 100 years ago especially the rim.

I'm leaning towards possible reproduction. Still pretty neat

7. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

If it matters, it came from a collection that was put away and not touched for about 60 years. It is the only Chinese coin in the collection, but the collection was pretty eclectic. I agree, it looks very clean but this collection has produced some real treats.

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Quite nice for the type. I would have suspected an Albanian fake at first glance.

9. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

My first instinct is fake. But, that is from a picture so I wouldn't take that as final.

Hartill 22.755/22.757 for reference.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted