Help Identifying a Provincial Ae

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I give up. I've tried to identify this 16mm bronze for over a week and haven't found anything even close. It should be easy except I just brushed it off and it's tough to read the legends.

Here's the coin:

Stag beneath Tree B.jpg
    Clearly a provincial with the reverse of a stag standing right, looking back, with tree (or maybe branch) to left and city name along edge at right. It looks like Marcus Aurelius on the obverse but not sure. Maybe @Ed Snible can work his magic or @TIF who is not an expert (she really is ... but she just won't admit it). Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oooh, a challenge!!

I'll take a look but suspect you've used all the keywords I'd try. Marcus Aurelius or Commodus seems likey based on the portrait even though provincial portraits often look very different from the presumed "correct" imperial portraits.

Ephesus used the stag and tree motif so I'll hit that first :)

Can you make out any of the legends?

4. Brian Bucklan

Thanks TIF. I certainly appreciate any help you can give me. Unfortunately I can only make out a letter here and there which probably won't help much. Still, you'd think "stag standing right looking back" would bring up a bunch of coins, but it really doesn't.

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm striking out so far. The reverse has an Asia Minor look, doesn't it? Or maybe Moesia... Off to the next searching spot :D

Hopefully we can find a picture of something similar because digging through foreign language public domain reference books is tedious! If we can get a handle on the region it might make that process less difficult.

6. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Hmm I can't help with the ID. I did mess with your photo a little though (I hope you don't mind) to bring the legends out some what. This is the best my amateur skills could do with the programs I have. Stag beneath Tree B.jpg
    Not the best, but it does bring them out a little better.

ominus1 and TIF like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Maybe it's not a stag. Perhaps it is a goat?

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm liking goat. Could that be baby Zeus under the goat? There are coins showing Zeus being nursed by a goat, and there is a tree or tree in the picture.

Check out this old ACsearch listing: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=295608

It's not exactly like your reverse but perhaps similar-- maybe tracking down the references will help.

What's the size of your coin?

Andres2 likes this.
  9. Brian Bucklan

TIF: The coin is 17mm. I just took a closer look at it and it certainly appears there are antlers, not horns, on the head which goes back to a stag. Took a another pic of the reverse from a different angle. Hope this helps.

Stag beneath Tree Rev.jpg

MontCollector, ominus1 and TIF like this.
  10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

interesting coin :).. i would be no help in IDing it tho..

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Lucius Verus. maybe?

12. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Looks like it reads something on the order of ... ΛΙΑΜΗЄ ...

13. Brian Bucklan

Yeah, something like that, or maybe (two letters)AIΛ...

Draft saved Draft deleted