Help Identifying 2 Japanese Bu Coins.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by amnight, Feb 3, 2017.

1. amnight

amnight Active Member

These two coins are both silver and I'm not sure what era they are from. I believe they are from sometime in the 1800's but not exactly sure what range of years. I would also like some information about the Chopmarks on both coins. The coins seem to be similar but I would like some more information about them. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Going on the pictures alone, both appear to be 一分銀 ("Ichi Bu Gin" or "1 Bu Silver") minted from roughly 1837 to 1868.

The borders on both sides contain a number of sakura ("桜"), which resemble little asterisks. One is inverted and the position of that inverted sakura can help further identify the coin. The coins pictured only have inverted sakura on the reverses, which is normal.

The first coin has an inverted sakura on the reverse one up from the lower left.
    The second coin has an inverted sakura on the reverse one over from the lower left.

"Ichi Bu Gin" with inverted sakura in those 2 positions on the reverse and all "normal" sakura on the obverse are generally from the Tempo Era (1830 - 1844) and were minted from 1837 - 1854 in Edo (now Tokyo). These earlier coins typically contained a much higher grade of silver (up to 99.1%) than later issues. Generally, these weigh around 8.62 grams.

I don't have a good reference for the counter-stamps, unfortunately, and some look a little indistinct. Someone else may know more.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    laurentyvan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted