Help identify this token...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jester3681, Oct 21, 2016.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I picked this up this evening, and have a suspicion what it might be, but I'm curious if any of you know for sure. Seller's pics, and from the description it is 21mm.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Lewis and Clark.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Seems to be a coin that was altered. Carved. sort of a Hobo coin.

Garlicus likes this.
  5. jester3681

I'm curious to see it in hand. I hope there's enough meat left to see if it was stuck as is.

6. ALAN DAVIS

ALAN DAVIS Old Sopemaker

Looks to be carved because you can see the denticles from the original mint strike.

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Style wise it looks typical of an early 20th century aluminum merchant token. Unfortunately many of these are mavericks that have not been identified, and many are simply not identifiable. This one doesn't give much info to go off. I wish you luck in getting the best attribution you can.

Paul M. and jester3681 like this.
  8. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I believe that is a Masonic Handshake Symbol on the reverse. The letters on the obverse are more than likely the local or could be the Grand lodge.

jester3681 likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I can see why you'd think that, but in this particular case I disagree. It's just rather crudely struck, is all.

I agree. Very late 19th or early 20th century. A maverick token of some kind.

As to the handshake symbol having a Masonic connection, I dunno. Maybe. Maybe not.

Numismat likes this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I disagree also
    It's either a love token or as someone mentioned the Masons Handshake. Here are 3 examples.
    Not my coins
    Capture+_2016-10-25-04-40-24.png e6655eda4c321c6861949fe45932f3a9.jpg 3121884-4460498.jpg

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see it in hand. I hope there's enough meat left to see if it was stuck as is.

So what is it made out of? alum, nickel, silver?

12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The Mormons also had a hand shake style token .

13. jester3681

My gut reaction was Communion Token - The handshake motif and the metal. I should have the token in hand by the end of the week for better investigation.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of Burzinski that they could review to see if this is listed?

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The handshake emblem was also used by abolitionist societies.

jester3681 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted