Help Identify This Coin: 1764-F 1/6 Thaler Prussia

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by CamaroDMD, Jan 20, 2018.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I have wanted to pick up a silver coin featuring Frederick the Great for some time. Just, a cheap one to add a little variety and history to my collection.

Recently, I purchased a 1764-F 1/6 Thaler. I bought it for about $10...I don't know if that's too much but I felt that $10 for the oldest non-ancient coin in my collection and one that features a monarch I wanted on a coin was worth it.

To be honest, I don't know much about these. I sorta bought it as a learning piece too.

It was sold as a KM-300 and I didn't give that too much thought until it arrived. However, the more I look at it the more I'm not sure that's right. The reverse definitely looks like a KM-300 to me. But the obverse doesn't. I found an image (below) showing the various obverse images of the KM-299 and to me mine more closely resembles the bottom right "ancient portrait." Most noticeable for me are the hair curls between 6 and 7 o'clock.

I know that 1764-F coins of both the KM-299 and the KM-300 types were minted. I have no idea if there was any blending of the designs or what. I have no idea if this is normal for this year...or if it's a fake...or what? Perhaps I am just totally wrong.

I'd like help identifying exactly what I have so I know how to identify it my records and so I can learn from it.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it looks most like the ancient portraits bottom right pic with the bow half way down on the side. the top of the hair has 3 pointy thingies... and the shape of the nose as well.

4. CamaroDMD

That was my thought as well. Based on the limited information I could find, that image is found on the KM-299. But the reverse looks much more like a KM-300 to me.

As I said before, I know next to nothing about these...just thought they were interesting. I thought it would be a fun learning experience. So far it has been!

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

German States/ Prussia. I am confused at the "F" mint mark ??? I see only 2 dates for that "F" mint mark for KM#312 1765, and 1766 for 1/6 Thaler. in my 2002 18th century world coin catalog. right mint mark wrong dates ??? confused.

6. CamaroDMD

I have the 4th edition Krause and it lists a 1764-F under the KM-300 but not under KM-299.

I thought I saw the same date listed under the KM-299 but now I can't find the reference. Could have been mistaken.

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

8. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Please don't expect any unlockings of King Frederick's mysteries. Merely some snippets, found online. He was born 1712. Became Frederick II, or the Great, and ruled the Kingdom of Prussia from 1740-1786. He fought in 3 Wars. Also he contributed some notable public buildings. The Coin shows his portrait and "FRIDERICUS BORUSSORUM REX", and the reverse includes palm and laurel leaves. Here 2, possibly, profound quotes by this King - "The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." - "A crown is merely a hat that lets in the rain."

9. CamaroDMD

I know...it also says 1812. The description is wrong. That's the coin I bought. It came in a flip labeled KM-300.

This is a KM-385
    https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/german-states-prussia-1-6-thaler-km-385-1809-1818-cuid-1202787-duid-13740333

What I'm wondering is...did the KM-300 use different obverse portraits?

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

not sure here.

11. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Mario Fan says "it also says 1812". Wouldn't that be to celebrate 100 years of Frederick II's birth in 1712 (although he was not yet wearing his "hat", in 1712).

12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

My 'Deutscher Münzkatalog 1700-1806' describes two types of 1/6 Reichstalern struck under king Friedrich II (1740-1786).

The first type bears the number 6 as VI (roman numerals).
    The second type bears the number 6 struck the normal way (arabic numerals).

Both types were struck at 6 different mints. Yours was struck at Magdeburg, and is clearly of the second type (with arabic numerals).

Magdeburg did not strike the first type in 1764.

I hope this helps.

Draft saved Draft deleted