Help Identify these two...???

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by umtrr-author, Oct 15, 2007.

1. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

I was asked by one of my fellow coin club members to help identify these two coins. He says he has exhausted his resources, and I (as usual) have no clue. I don't even know which is the obverse and which is the reverse, so don't assume I have it right!

Both of these are quite thin and not quite round. I don't want to take a guess at composition but if pushed I'd say they are coppers of some sort. Both of these were taken under the same light; the second is in fact more "yellow" than the first.

Here is the first one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the second:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They are French, gonna have to get the books out though for an exact attribution.

4. bart

bart Senior Member

The first is definitely not French: it is from the Southern Netherlands, which is nowadays Belgium. It is a denier or a double denier, struck in the name of the archdukes Albert and Isabella (Elisabeth).
    Philip II if Spain, son of emperor Charles V, legated the Spanish Netherlands to the archdukes Albert and Isabella of Habsburg. They were allowed to establish their own dinasty. They reigned the country, which was at that moment virtually independent, from 1598 until 1621. As they died without having any children, the Southern Netherlands returned to Spain in 1621.

5. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

The 2nd one appears to be a 16th century French Jetton. Here is one I have which looks a lot like yours.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted