Help Identify Please

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jody526, Feb 11, 2007.

1. jody526

jody526 New Member

This was described as, "This 1942 Mercury dime has a couple of errors on it; one is a raised feather in the wing, and another is a mark on the bottom right, pushing the little emblem to the left and up, making it unrecognizable."

I thought maybe a couple of cuds, or maybe solder marks.
    Anyone else think they know?
    Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LSM

LSM Collector

From the Pictures it looks like a broken die (cuds).

Lou

4. jody526

jody526 New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Here are some additional pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The "copper-colored" area, is just that.
    The areas, along the rim, that appear to be flattened, are flattened.
    IMO, the coin has definately got some post-mint damadge, but the two raised areas on the obverse are still in question.

Thank for any additional responces.

5. LSM

LSM Collector

IMO the top area looks like a cud. But the lower area I'm not sure about. The bottom area looks to me as post mint damage.

Lou

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

okay, in your second picture you can see the scrape mark below the built up metal, IMHO, it is post mint damage.

7. bruce 1947

bruce 1947 Support Or Troops

Jody,
    I will agree with the others I believe it to be a cud and post mint at the bottom, however this is the first time I have ever seen a cud on a mercury dime and I have looked at quite a few of them but there is always a first time.

Bruce.

8. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

i wonder what that copper color area is... could this be a fake? the coin should be silver through and through

9. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Both defects are the result of post-strike damage/alteration. The upper one appears to be solder, while the lower one may be metal that was scraped up and relocated.

10. jody526

jody526 New Member

Thank you. :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted