Help identification Islamic coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by catadc, May 16, 2021.

1. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

These two coins were part of a lot of byzantines from 1080-1260 AD. Need your help for identification, please.

My "suspects" are Album 1192 and 1203, AE of the Seljuq of Rum, but somehow I do not manage to "see" it right.

First coin is 21 mm, 2.73 gr and very thin. Second one is 19 mm (widest point), 2.87 gr and thicker.

Thank you
    islamic 1.png islamic 2.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

From here, it looks as if you nailed it with Album #1203 for the top one. One example from ACsearch: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5773153
    [Edit:] For the lower one, I'm gravitating toward thinking it's likely the same issue, on an undersized flan.

catadc likes this.
  4. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Yes, both appear to be Album 1203. On the 1st coin above and on the acsearch coin I read al-sultan / al-mu'azzam / Kaykhusraw shah bin / Qilij Arslan.

السلطان
    المعظم
    كيخسرو شاه بن
    قكج ارسلان

While the 1st coin above and the acsearch coin clearly have the word "shah" in the 3rd line, others at Zeno apparently do not. Few, if any, have complete legends. I can't be certain if "shah" is present on the 2nd coin but "Kaykhusraw" is clear. I also note that several of the coins on Zeno have the same under-sized oval flan as the 2nd coin.

https://www.zeno.ru/showgallery.php?cat=20553

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    +VGO.DVCKS and catadc like this.
  5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@dltsrq, this will be redundant, but who cares:
    Bravo! Bravo! And few more of those.

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

That top one is a nice cherry in the lot(?), on a large flan! Here's A-1203:

Album 1203.jpg

Thanks for the legend transcription, @dltsrq.

+VGO.DVCKS and catadc like this.
  7. catadc

catadc Well-Known Member

@dltsrq - thank you very much, your answer is simply wonderful.

@Severus Alexander - I do not collect these coins. They are, I assume, inspired by byzantines, which I do collect, so the can stay with me.

Severus Alexander and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted