Help ID silver coin.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by alurid, Jun 24, 2018.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I do need help with this one. At first I thought Temple Token, then I noticed the letters NR inside a circle. Which looks like a makers mark to me. That is the only English writing on this piece. Which got me thinking it may be a bullion piece. It is made of silver and about 30 MM dia. Help with identifing any other markings will be appreciated.
    20180622_175543.jpg 20180622_175601.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Stevearino, paddyman98 and alurid like this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

wcoins likes this.
  5. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

You have already had some answers, alurid. Let me add a few more details. Goddess Laxmi or Lakshmi is one of the principal deities of Hindu religion. Various temples, often quite beautiful, are dedicated to this goddess of wealth, fortune and prosperity. Her consort is Vishnu. Festivals celebrating Laxmi include Diwali, Deepavali, Lakshmi Puja etc. She is also celebrated in Jainism and Buddhism. In Indian ancient scriptures, all women are declared to be embodiments of Lakshmi.
    She is also connected with Yoga, sometimes being seated in a lotus position on a lotus flower. Much more could be said about her, and her qualities, but we have now dipped our toes in the water !

alurid and wcoins like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted