Help ID Roman(?) Roundel & Spanish Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JoIke, Sep 22, 2021.

1. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Hi all,

Can someone please me ID what appears to be a Roman(?) bronze roundel and the date/denomination of these silver Spanish coins?

The bronze roundel appears to be some form of fitting or applique, size 1-1/2 inches. Spanish coins were converted into earrings using 14K gold and emeralds.

Thank you all in advance for your time and thoughts!

IMG_2198-001.jpg IMG_2190-001.jpg IMG_2191-001.jpg IMG_2192-001.jpg IMG_2193-001.jpg IMG_2194-001.jpg IMG_2195-001.jpg IMG_2196-001.jpg IMG_2197-001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

The coins in the earrings are Spanish silver "cobs", of the 16th or 17th century, probably one reale pieces. Now these coins were hammer struck, just like ancient coins. Therefore, no two coins are exactly alike due to the variations of strike, flan, metal quality and environmental conditions during their deposition. As I look at these coins, both obverse and reverse, based on these images, the coins in the two earrings are identical, probably cast. It seems that they were artificially toned to look like salvaged coins. Therefore, in my opinion, these coins are not genuine.

I am not sure if the mountings are gold. You need to look for an indication of carat purity, such as a marking of 14K stamped on the bezel. As of the stone, which look like they are supposed to be emeralds, that is something I cannot help you with. A jewelry store should have the instruments to determine that.

The larger object looks as if is was a brooch of some sort, in what looks like the form of a shield, with a pin back. You can see where the pin mounts were on the back. As for age, I cannot tell, possibly 17th-18th century, or later. I like the lion! He has real character. The metal might be pewter or plated brass.

Hope this helps.

Edit - I see that the earring mountings are 14K in the original post.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  4. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the mounts are marked for metal purity and I agree with you overall assessment of these. Coins do appear to be sterling silver repros.

The lion roundel could have possibly been a brooch, badge, fitting, applique, etc. Closer examination of the metal, it does not appear bronze as first thought but most likely pewter or lead. Very well done and very nice detail. I have not been able to track down a comp so far in researching. Origin, I have not a clue and age, possibly 17th/18th C. as you suggested, but given the "ugliness" of the lion, it looks earlier(?)

robinjojo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted