Help ID Adoptive Emperor

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TJC, Mar 22, 2014.

1. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Here is my new Marcus Aurelius:) A friend at the local coin club gave it to me:D I am digging the coin! Only, I cannot, for the life, of me ID it. Please help:)

It is: 26 mm diameter and 11.08 grams.
    It is also slightly magnetic. (I did take it to a friend that I trust to ask about authenticity; he said not worry too much about a little magnetism.)
    I think that it is a Dupondus.
    The Obverse is: MAVRELIVSCAE-SARAVG??.. I think.
    The reverse has almost an over strike kinda look to me (more likely just corrosion) and the legend has me stumped. The figure is forward facing and looking left (as you can see). The closest I have found is: MARCUS AURELIUS, A.D. 161-180. Sestertius (25.50 gms), Rome Mint, A.D. 149-150.
    RIC-(A. Pius) 1238. Bare-headed and draped bust of Marcus Aurelius right; Reverse: Juventas standing facing head left throwing incense on candelabrum (or altar) and holding patera.
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.htm...&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ol=1&sort=&c=&a=&l=#730n
    MarcusAreliusDupO2.jpg MarcusAreliusDupR2.jpg MarcusAreliusDupEdge2.jpg MarcusAreliusDupEdge1.jpg

vlaha, chrsmat71, TIF and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Marcus Aurelius, AR Denarius, 149 AD, Rome.

M AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F legend, bare-headed, draped head right.

TR POT III COS II legend, Clementia standing to front, head left, holding patera, holding out folds of robe; CLEM in exergue. SC in fields.

My best guess.

TIF likes this.
  4. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I mean AE As, Dupondius or Sestertius. I just noticed my error. lol

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Based on the weight, I would say it is:
    RIC 1238[pius]
    sear5 #4831: Marcus Aurelius AE As. 140 AD. AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F COS, bare head right / IVVENTAS S C, Juventas, wearing a long robe, standing left, holding a patera, sprinkling incense on a candelabrum.

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice coin! I would be more than happy to have this coin in my collection.

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hi TJC ... wow, the colour on that baby is absolutely gorgeous (conrats on a very cool pick-up!!)

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is listed in the British Museum Catalog volume IV page 305 as note to the second one listed that they lack in the collection but with obverse legend a4 (but they may have got one since the book was published). The legends are as Gil quoted but the weight/color makes it most likely a dupondius (IMHO). The coin strikes me as enough of a rarity that it should be reported to be sure it is included in future references. I'm sure they know of the general type but might not have the version with head (not bust) and legend a4. They list something similar as being in the Colchester Museum but do not give full details. I don't know if they would reply to a email inquiry from out of the UK or not
    http://www.cimuseums.org.uk/collections/identifications-service.html
    I would not mail the coin but might send a photo asking how it differs from the coins quoted in BMCRE IV page 305. I also suspect Curtis Clay (at Harlan Berk in Chicago or on Forvm) might know if it is known in this exact form.

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

11. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for help and comments on this one! I am really enjoying this unique coin:)

Doug, great info.!!! I think that I will be trying to contact the British museums. It would be great if they answered my inquiry!

12. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Here is an up-date:

Colchester + Ipswich Museum replied to my query. They did not confirm the attribution of my coin, but did confirm that there museum does have an example of:

Marcus Aurelius, AE Dupondius,
    149 AD, Rome.
    O: M AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F, Bare-headed, draped head right.
    Rx: TR POT III COS II, Clementia standing to front, head left, holding patera. Holding out folds of robe;
    CLEM in exergue. SC in fields.
    It is: 26 mm diameter and 11.08 grams.
    British Museum Catalog volume IV
    page 305 but with obverse legend a4.

The Curator of Archaeology at http://www.cimuseums.org.uk/ confirmed that, "Yes, we have such a coin". He gave it accession number is 2006.71.143. I think the "accession number" is a catalog number for the museum, but am not sure. Real happy that I got a response and that I now have an attribution that matches my coin:)

I also emailed the British Museum of London but did not receive a response.

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted