HELP! I have a Cheerio Dollar, in original packaging

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rizofy, Dec 2, 2018.

?

Should I send it in to NGC or PCGS?

1. NGC

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. PCGS

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Keep in original packaging

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I once knew an exotic dancer named not Jade, but Bambi. I had to remind here that in the Walt Disney movie, Bambi was a male deer, and hey, what's up with that?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

I thought ALL Cheerios dollars were the "right thing", no?

4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

5. V. Kurt Bellman

Wouldn't logic then suggest that using any designation like "Cheerios" is incorrect per se? If normal Sacs are found in Cheerios packaging without any evidence of tampering, as the article states, then "Cheerios" is an irrelevant description. One counter-example is a disproof.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. CoinCorgi

How about "Enhanced Cheerios" and "Plain Cheerios" or "Fresh" vs "Stale" or "Fancy Feathers" vs "Common Feathers" or blah blah blah

ACoinJob likes this.
  7. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

"Necessary but not sufficient" seems to be the status of the Cheerios dollar

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. How many of the in-original-packaging dollars are "normal"? If it's only a few, then we have a New Champion Rarity! PCGS Cheerios Dollar Non-Prototype Reverse!

They'd better slab them in the original packaging, though, or someone might make snide comments. :rolleyes: :troll:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

Oh c'mon, the entire CONCEPT was custom-designed for the nastiest most vile snark ever invented. This kind of lunacy is starting to make all collectibles theories just a Big Bang Theory one-liner just waiting to be written.

10. CoinCorgi

11. V. Kurt Bellman

"Reverse of 1999" covers it adequately for me.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Even if it isn't the enhanced tail feathers pattern, it would still be valuable as a Cheerios dollar. As long as you keep it sealed, the grading company can notate on the slab that it is a Cheerios Sac Dollar.

13. V. Kurt Bellman

Ah but DO they?

14. TheFinn

Yes, they Do.

15. V. Kurt Bellman

Cheerios WITHOUT the 1999 tail feathers? Where?

16. TheFinn

THE NON-PATTERN REVERSE OF 2000

[​IMG]
    NON-PATTERN CHEERIOS DOLLAR
    [​IMG]ENLARGED REVERSE PHOTO CLEARLY SHOWING LACK OF
    DETAIL IN THE TAIL FEATHERS

[​IMG]NON-PATTERN CHEERIOS DOLLAR

A previously known, but unacknowledged, Cheerios Dollar without the "pattern" reverse was given more credibility when a second one was certified by NGC in April 2008. The first piece, in a PCI holder (below), was known as early as 2005. However, due to the problems that PCI was having, no one took it seriously at the time. Fast forward to April 2008 when a collector, who wishes to remain anonymous, owned not one, but two Cheerios Dollars in their original Cheerios packaging. The owner states, "I got one of the two coins out of a box of Cheerios and bought the other one at a flea market back in 2001-2002 and they have been sitting in my dresser drawer ever since until I found out what they might be worth." Deciding to capitalize on them, he sent both to NGC for authentication and grading. Upon their return he was surprised to find that one was not labeled as a "Pattern" as the other one was. Checking the reverse he found that it did in fact not exhibit the detailed tail feathers as the "pattern" piece did. Concerned if a "non-pattern" Cheerios Dollar was possible or was previously known to exist, the collector contacted this web site. We in turn contacted accomplished numismatist Tom DeLorey, who was instrumental in the original discovery of the Cheerios "Pattern" Dollar. Being as surprised as we were, Mr. DeLorey contacted NGC to verify the piece. In response NGC said, "The report that you received is entirely factual. NGC did receive a Cheerios dollar in original packaging and the coin was not the pattern reverse. This was confirmed by Rick Montgomery and Dave Camire. Dave Camire, in fact, opened the packaging."

Seattlite86 likes this.
  17. V. Kurt Bellman

I consider the information ON THE LABEL, in this case, to be an uninformative "mechanical error".

"NON-PATTERN REVERSE OF 2000" is your addition to it. I need it on the slab.

ACoinJob and Seattlite86 like this.
  18. TheFinn

19. TheFinn

Whatever. Read the story, then stick with what you believe, or learn.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

"PCGS also reported that they only apply "the 'Cheerios' designation to Sacagawea Dollars with the Reverse of 1999" and that they are not "obligated to designate any Dollar as a 'Cheerios' Dollar simply because it came out of a sealed Cheerios package".

This serves only to diminish the TPGS's generally. One, PCGS, refuses to grant the Cheerios label unless it is the actual Reverse of 1999. The other, NGC, reserves it for "history and provenance only" purposes regardless of what the coin is.

If this was designed to give me more "warm and fuzzies" about slabbed coins and the TPGS's, it failed miserably. Egos, too many overinflated egos.

21. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

Send a valuable coin to a stranger on the net.

smh

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted