HELP! I have a Cheerio Dollar, in original packaging

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rizofy, Dec 2, 2018.

?

Should I send it in to NGC or PCGS?

1. NGC

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. PCGS

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. Keep in original packaging

13 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. Rizofy

Rizofy Member

Long story short, I was talking to my Dad (We both smoke cigarettes, yes bad habit, and I roll my own, and roll his) and on the bag of tobacco it says, "Your golden ticket to $250 could be inside!". I was asking like... what would be the chances of finding this "Golden Ticket"? He told me about when I was younger, which when he said it, I remembered, Cheerios did a promotion for the Sacagawea dollar. He bought 1 box, was pouring my cereal before school, and out popped the dollar and the penny. As soon as it popped out, he stuck it in his safe, and my parents and their friend went and bought about 100 more boxes, with no success. It was forgotten about until just a few days ago. I looked it up after he brought it up, and that's when I found out that it could be something special. I called about 20 coin shops, not just in my state (Wisconsin) but everywhere in the US to find more out. The best information I got was a guy from Mississippi, who sent me diagrams to follow to be able to see from the front of the coin, if the tail feathers are "enhanced". Sure enough, the diagram matched the coin. He said to send it in as is (in the original packaging, literally perfect condition, looks like it just came out of the cereal box) and get it certified and graded. I wanted to seek some further advice on how to go about handling this, what it could be worth and how to sell it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It would be more helpful if you could give us better photos of both sides of the coin so we could estimate its grade. Most likely, it's not worth getting graded and the original packaging is great as is (don't take it out!).

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow, that could be a really significant find! However, a word of caution - not all of the dollars in Cheerios packaging are the rare variety.

These Cheerios dollars are considered a "pattern" coin - sort of a prototype before they made the final design choice.

When you say he sent you a "diagram" to look at the front of the coin, could explain a bit more what you mean - or show us a picture of that?

As for what you do with it, that probably depends on what your intentions are. Do you want to sell it, or keep it? If you want to sell it, both PCGS and NGC are high quality establishments, so either would be perfectly fine.

In order to submit the coin, your best option will probably be to go to a local coin dealer and have them help you submit. Many dealers offer this as a service.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I just want to follow this thread.
    I know the coin can be differentiated from other Sacagawea dollars.
    But I don't know the importance of the original packaging.

6. physics-fan3.14

In the packaging, you cannot see the reverse side, only the obverse.

And, if it is a genuine pattern Cheerios dollar, it's worth over $5000.

Yeah, it is absolutely worth getting graded.

7. physics-fan3.14

Seems like these aren't quite as well known anymore. Read here for why this could be a significant find: http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page20c.html

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Thanks for the correction. I forgot that they're sealed to that board.

9. Rizofy

Rizofy Member

The reply that physics-fan3.14, that exact page is what he linked me to. And on there it shows the obverse side markers to look out for to tell if it has the enhanced feathers. Also, my only issue, the closest coin dealer to where I live (very rural area) is about 2 1/2 hour drive, and the next closes is about 3 hours. Both have terrible ratings, saying that the guys checks bounced, ect. But, if it really is worth going to a reputable dealer to help me out, I will gladly drive wherever I need to, to get the help. I just think it's crazy that we randomly started talking about this and that it may be worth some money. 2 of the shops I called said, in the packaging its in, one would give me $2,000, then while on the phone with him, another shop called and said $4,500 in the packaging. A bunch of other coin shops said send it in, in the packaging it's in, and get it graded. Gosh, I just can't believe this. The fact it's been sitting in a little tin container, inside of a ziplok for almost 19 years, and it could be significant, just blows my mind. Tomorrow I will be making a ton of calls, emails and doing everything I can to figure it all out. The more info, the better, so thank you.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

I think it might be worth some nice money, like the designer signature coin, for 2000 promotion.

11. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Holly Cheerios Batman!!

Robin Gray, mlov43 and spirityoda like this.
  12. RICHARD K

RICHARD K MISTY & SASHA

13. bsting

bsting Never enough coins.lol

Cool find indeed! Were you able to eat the 100 boxes of Cheerios before they went stale?

spirityoda and CoinCorgi like this.
  14. Rizofy

Rizofy Member

Going to be taking some micro shots of it with a super high res camera and will post on here for you guys to see. It seems just unreal. We've always collected coins.. but when we would sit down and go through our coins, we never brought this one out thinking, "Theres no way a coin from a cereal box could be worth anything.". But, it was just cool to keep around. And since my mother got diagnosed with stage 3 non small cell lung cancer and my father broke his back, we really haven't bothered with the coins. So it just seems almost too good to be true, but, if people are throwing some pretty big numbers to get their hands on it... its finally starting to seem more realistic Haha.

15. Rizofy

Rizofy Member

LOL!!!! Well, when my mom and dad bought them, they were with their friend who had health issues, and she lived in a home that had nurses on standby 24/7. So, after seeing that they didn't contain the dollar, we donated it to all the people living there. So yeah, they were eaten before they went stale!!! LOL

16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

awesome could be worth $5,000-7,000 depending on the eagles tail feathers on the reverse. The photo on the left shows the center of the feathers in detail of which is the valuable coin. I looked for these in boxes and got a cent, but no dollar.

Cheerios-Sacagawea-Dollar copy.jpg

go to a reputable coin dealer and have them send to PCGS or NGC for slabbing. Do not put this on social media. Someone might try to steal it. Hide it in a place only you know about. Do not drop it. While not looking at it keep it in the cheerios package and put it in a container so it will not get scratched or dented.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I love stories like this one. Yes, you do have a piece there with some real potential value to it. I would offer several precautions here:
    • Don’t be hasty. The lure of the cash the first person flashes is difficult to turn away from. Take a deep breath and take your time. The extra time you invest doing your homework could yield sizable returns. Be patient!
    • You do need to partner with a reputable dealer to help guide your steps. Perhaps if you told the folks here what part of the country you are in (don’t be specific) perhaps one of the guys here can guide you in to a reputable dealer. There are more honorable coin dealers out there that otherwise. They just aren’t talked about as much.
    • Limit the time you spend handling the coin. Put it back in its safe place. Even dropping a coin of substantial value can dramatically lower its intrinsic value. And believe me when I say. Coin guys are like Santa Clause. They can inspect a coin and tell you everything about it.
    • Don’t brag to your buddies about it. Don’t put it on social media. Freinds needing cash may not be the close friends you think they are.
    In the end, I am happy for you and hope you realize a nice return on your good fortune!

Mainebill, Robin Gray, mlov43 and 2 others like this.
  18. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

I can DRAFT you a submission form with my Gold PCGS Membership. Just it needs more time before I get more FREE vouchers to pass along the savings to you. Sound like a plan?

19. ACoinJob

I just checked my 1st day issue coin in original packaging, mine's got the second photo, un-detailed feathers. But it's toned.

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I just looked at completed auctions on Ebay. A slabbed set of the dollar and cent graded MS-67 went for $7,500.00 and A slabbed dollar by itself graded MS-67 went for $6,600.00

Randy Abercrombie and ACoinJob like this.
  21. ACoinJob

You can't win 'em all, but it's nice to come across a few fine examples now & then. Was you wanting it DRAFTED for PCGS submission with a holder, and without a free voucher?
    Or No?

Draft saved Draft deleted