Help! How to sell inherited coin collection for maximum value????

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by DFreiheit, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think you might have more luck asking a different question. What is interesting varies by every collector. If by interesting, you mean valuable, that's another question entirely that we could much more easily answer. Can you expand your question or clarify what you're trying to figure out?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

None of us can define that for you, because we each choose our own interests. If you like that 1889, I won't argue against you. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Cheryl Heuton

Cheryl Heuton New Member

I guess one thing I'm trying to figure out about this coin is why it's so different from the other ones in the collection. It's far less worn and a lot shinier. But is that just because it's been cleaned? How do you tell when a coin's been cleaned vs just not circulated much? Or is that something that only years of study and experience can teach?

In the photo, there seems to be a lot of surface scuffing. But I don't have the experience of comparing it to many other coins. I've done more reading, and I'm realizing that it's as several of you have said -- there's a lifetime of information to learn when it comes to coins.

And of course, since I'm supposed to be helping my mother recover some value from her father's investment in coins, I'd like to get a rough feel for its worth.

I think my grandfather's intention was to invest in silver without much regard for rarity or condition. Some of his coin rolls were rolled in newspaper from the 1940s. So the coins weren't even old when he put them away. (And yes, I now know that newspaper was a poor choice for preserving their condition.)

5. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I didn't realize this was a 4 year old thread when I opened it but to answer the op's question - ebay.

6. Pascale Saliba

Pascale Saliba New Member

There are many reputable dealers that will give you proper value and you are not obligated to sell. When I inherited a collection I dealt with London coin in Newport Beach CA years ago. They are very experienced and til today anytime I need to value, sell, buy or even trade rare coins or estate coins I find. I go to them. Londoncoin.com

Draft saved Draft deleted