Help finding a Trajan coin for my kid

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JimsOkay, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Superb portrait on that one!

Not sure if the seller mentioned it, but the title PARTHICO at the end of the obverse legend indicates that it was minted during or after his Parthian campaign, which was the last campaign of his life, which was also the maximum territorial extent of the Roman Empire, and the largest swath of Europe ever under control of a single entity.

JimsOkay likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I'm confused @JimsOkay That coin is still up for auction with no bids.
    Is this coin no longer for sale in @John Anthony 's auction?

4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

How could you have already ordered that coin when it's Lot # 7 in the current, ongoing JAZ Numismatics Auction No. 194, being conducted by our fellow-member @John Anthony?

Edited to add: Now I know how, since John has explained what happened! My apologies for implying that you weren't serious.

Also, I don't know how old your daughter is, but isn't that reverse a bit X-rated for her? Virtus with one bare breast, suggestively holding her very prominent parazonium at a very specific place and angle?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

o_O You're right. @John Anthony, what's the story??

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Be sure to tell your daughter that the reverse figure, Virtus, is female!

JimsOkay likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hey guys. Sorry about the confusion. That coin should not have been listed in the auction. - I offered it to the OP a few days ago and I was holding it in reserve. My sincere apologies for the mistake! I'll withdraw it from bidding.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

:eek: Get your mind out of the gutter Donna! I've never heard such a scandalous interpretation of Virtus, LOL!

9. sand

sand Well-Known Member

I like it. Virtus was the ancient Roman deity of bravery and military strength.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtus_(deity)
    I don't notice the bare breast, because of the wear on the coin.
    Interestingly, on your coin, Virtus looks like a man, because the toning on the jaw, looks like a beard.
    I'm not too worried about the dagger (parazonium), that Virtus is holding.
    You can just tell your daughter, that Virtus is holding a dagger.

10. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

She's not a kid kid anymore, though I guess she always will be to me. :)
    There's no hang ups regarding sex. While still in high school she bought this as a gift for me from one of her trips to Europe. She definitely has my sense of humor. haha

IMG_0717-CT.jpg

11. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

Thank you! That's a nice plus. :)

Roman Collector likes this.
  12. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

This is why I choose Trajan. Figuring my daughter would be aware of that. This information is excellent and ads a little icing to the cake. :)

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

I will tell her though I would bet she already knows. If not I will say parazonium and then she will say "You mean the dagger"? ;)

sand likes this.
  14. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

I am saving all the notes about the coin to go along. I am amazed at the knowledge offered here! Thank you all!

sand likes this.
  15. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

She just likes to remind people of all those manly virtues she represents, while still making clear with her Amazonian bare breast that she's female. Nothing scandalous about it!

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice pickup! The coin I offered in our private conversation came from @John Anthony, too, so you went straight to the source.

17. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

18. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a denarius in particular?

If not you can find some VF tetradrachms of Trajan’s at pretty decent prices.

I got this one for $120

357BCA25-049E-468C-B54B-1FD96668E4CE.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted