HELP! Experiences with Swiss Post

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Romancollector, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has experiences with Swiss post. I usually have coins shipped via Fedex, but in this scenario, the coin's price did not warrant Fedex shipping. I am a little bit worried because there are no updates on tracking. The last update is from Friday and it says forwarding abroad (I'm in Canada). Tracking does not indicate who the Canadian delivery partner is. Should I be worried at this stage? Is this normal?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thank you,
    RC

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I've ordered a few coins from Swiss dealers and they used the mails. Like you I also got no information after the initial tracking scan. Actually they just showed up in the mailbox. On coins from the Netherlands and England I was able to track progress all the way to my door.

Romancollector likes this.
  4. StevePM

StevePM Member

I had a different experience to ancient coin hunter with Swiss Post. Leu sent me some coins via Swiss Post to the UK and I was able to track the package all the way (see attached tracking info). Perhaps there's better integration between different European postal services? Anyway, at my end it was Royal Mail who delivered the package, our national mail service, but that was not indicated to me by Swiss Post.

swisspost_tracking.png

5. Romancollector

Are you located in North America? If you are, then I'm assuming it would be the same for me.

I've never ordered from the Netherlands before, but with Royal mail (UK), I was able to track the progress right up until delivery.

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Just order a coin shipped through Swiss post for the first time, so I will be watching this thread in anticipation...

7. ancient coin hunter

I'm in California.

8. Romancollector

Thank you! It is probably going to be the same for me. Also, can I ask how long it took for you to receive your coins once they left Switzerland?

9. ancient coin hunter

About 8 days if I remember correctly. Wasn't held up at ISC-New York for long I guess. But that was before Covid.

10. Romancollector

Thank you!

11. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

I had the same experience recently with a coin arriving to the US. Once swiss post stopped updating I entered the tracking number into USPS and found updated tracking there. The whole thing was very fast by post-covid standards. I don't remember exactly how many days it was but it was probably under 10.

I wouldn't be worried if I were you and I would try entering the tracking number into the Canada Post site.

12. Romancollector

I tried doing that but nothing shows up in Canada post. Maybe there's a different tracking number generated once it's in Canada?

UPDATE: I found my package in the USPS system, and it says that a shipping label was created. I'm just not sure why it would be going through USPS if its coming to Canada?

13. Iepto

Iepto Active Member

Swiss post sends the mail overseas, and USPS delivers it.
    I typically personally track the packages on the USPS system (you won't get detailed updates until the customs events, typically)

14. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

My last order with them was held up for a while in NY; probably pandemic related and not the Swiss postal service's fault.

15. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

It will be handed off to Canada post eventually.. You won’t being get any updates on a tracking site until it arrives + If you don’t hear anything for 2 more months I might start getting worried.. but it will probably take a few weeks at least.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have used Swiss Post several times for coins. Even have an account. This was all prior to Covid, however, I had no problems with them, and all coins were shipped within a very reasonable time frame. After the coins moved through Swiss Post, I then received info that had tracking info through US Post. Personally, I was comfortable.

Now, all being said, I cannot give any experience during Covid.

Romancollector and Ryro like this.
  17. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Having had multiple coins sent from Europe in recent months, for the most part, shipping has been all good on their end getting the mail forwarded abroad(w/ the exception of Germany a couple of times).

The delays have primarily occurred on this end; often getting held up at processing through the NY International Service Center. Once USPS has taken possession, the parcels have arrived in a fairly timely manner.

Swiss mail (as a service) has been reliable for me.

18. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

No.

19. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

mind if I ask your experience with Deutsche Post? I have something on the way which was last recorded as being I Frankfurt on the way to the US, but haven’t heard anything since (been 18 days now)

20. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

I had one parcel from Germany that took over 3 months to arrive. I had started the process of presuming that it was lost, and had even contacted the auction house to initiate the investigation on their end. It eventually showed up a few weeks later.

The parcel's tracking showed that it made it to the U.S.(via Deutsche Post), it was the USPS process that slowed it down from there(Covid related? I dunno).

One other parcel took a bit to get shipped DHL Express/Deutsche Post, but it too eventually arrived, albeit, after only a month or so. I suppose it may have had something to do with international flights being reduced during travel lockdowns.

A couple of other parcels from Germany arrived after only a couple of weeks.

So, they all arrived, nothing lost, but the one had me a little more concerned than the rest.

That has been my experience. Hopefully it may help put you at ease that your parcel will eventually arrive, but it could be a while depending on the circumstances.

21. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Thanks - it does a little. Unfortunately what is on the way is a Christmas gift... so, I’m hoping a couple weeks to a month rather than 3 months!

Draft saved Draft deleted