Help Educate me machine DBL?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Amberalaska, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Amberalaska

Amberalaska Member

I'm learning, but I see many coins that look doubled but I'm almost positive that something else is going on here. Thank you coin community! Muah

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

YES. THANKS FOR SHARING!

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 and Amberalaska like this.
  5. Amberalaska

Amberalaska Member

Thank you kindly

alurid likes this.
  6. Amberalaska

Amberalaska Member

If you don't mind me asking. How do u know or (I know) when it's the real double deal?

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

MD or machine doubling is flat and shelf like in appearance.

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@Amberalaska , very recently, someone posted pictures of what a MD coin looks like vs. a Doubled Die. You can do a quick search and find the thread.

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

1936date(1).JPG Here are 3 easy ones from my collection. First is a 1936 DDO. Notice that each portion of the numbers on the date are the same height. It usually doesn't happen , but it should not be flattened and not merge if they are close to gether Also notice that the overall thickness has increased by the doubling, on a MDD, it is more a subtraction, The part that is original height will be thinner than original , even though it and the flattened portion added together might be more///the flattened art doesn't count.

55dd0date-1-1.JPG

Notice on this classic, that where the '955' cross over each other, the heights are the same and blend together, another sign , even if it is a small portion that does this it is a good sign

Here is a 1960D DDO which is also a small date /large date and a wide spaced RPM. The DD part is easy to see on the "0", blue large, red is small date.

60-ddo-WRPM-sm  over lgdate.JPG

And another classic, 1972 DDO.

IMG_1958.JPG

Some times ( depending on the CLASS of doubled die, it only shows in a small area. 1968scddo-002a.JPG

Hope this helps some. By the way, I bought all but the last one, that one
    I found in searching a bag ( 5000) of 1968-S cents aand have a roll of them :)

Jim

alurid likes this.
  11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

12. Thank you for sharing sir

Draft saved Draft deleted