Help Determining Relative Coin Value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MikeF, Sep 2, 2017.

1. MikeF

MikeF New Member

Hi all,

Was hoping that some of the experts here could help me with the concept of relative pricing. If this is in the wrong place, please let me know and I'll move it.

I'm looking into the 1909 S-VDB, the penny I always wanted as a kid but never thought I'd be able to afford. In particularly, I've seen a couple of good options on eBay. They are:

This MS65RB, at $2,895.

This MS64BN, at $1,895

I know that RB generally gets a premium over the BN, but it seems to me that the second coin, while possibly somewhat overpriced, has a lot more "eye appeal" than the first one, in terms of sharper lines and a better strike. Far be it from me to question PCGS, but maybe somebody could help a newb understand what the relative value of these coins is? I have no idea how they make such fine differentiations between a 64 and a 65, etc.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Personally, I think both are overpriced, and you must keep in mind that sellers are allowed to ask any amount they choose. Even though the MS64 CAC is a better price, the decision is still yours. Why don't you contact the seller, make him/her a reasonable offer and see what they say? All they can do is say, "No!", but who knows. Maybe they will come back with a counteroffer.

Chris

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Either of those would be among the highest prices paid for the grade/color in the last few years.

5. MikeF

MikeF New Member

Thank you both. I appreciate the input. I'm going to contact the 64 seller.

Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted