Help !! Copper Cents preservation questions

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Jan 23, 2021.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey you Fine people ! I have a dilemma . I have this and other coppers with some verdigris and other issues like dirt build up corrosion etc. . What I want to know is what is the BEST and safest way to treat them so they are cleaner and for the most part protected from Oxidation problems . I'm trying to avoid Acetone due to it's toxicity since I have lung issues and on Oxygen . Here's a good examples of what I'm talking about .
    1803 LC -Obv-horz.jpg 1817 LG obv-horz.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

Ohh, Thanks in advance :happy:

TonkawaBill and SmokinJoe like this.
  4. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

The only thing I ever heard that wouldn't damage the coin's value (and you) was a soak in vinegar/water mix or olive oil overnight & pat dry.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is no best and safest way because each coin is going to be different, have different things on them, if they have anything on them at all. And it is whatever it is "on them" that determines what you use to get it off - and if it is wise to even try to get it off ! In other words, rather often your best option is to just leave the coins alone and store them properly.

Short and sweet Sal your question is exactly the same as every other question about how to safely and properly clean coins. And so the answer is the same 4 basic ways that there is for any coin.

1 - distilled water
    2 - acetone
    3 - xylene
    4 - coin dip

BJBII, TonkawaBill, capthank and 4 others like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Maybe olive oil, and that is questionable on certain coins.
    Definitely never use vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. They both will etch a coins surface.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I believe that both coins have already been worked on in the past. Acetone is the only thing I would soak the coins in. It only takes one ounce of acetone per bath and it's easy to do it in a safe way. After the baths, I would set the coin on my desk and handle it with my fingers each day. Over time the coins should start to tone back to a more natural brown color.

capthank, SensibleSal66 and SmokinJoe like this.
  8. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Oops. I forgot that vinegar contains a bit of acetic acid.

capthank and SmokinJoe like this.
  9. Rich Buck

Rich Buck Yukon Cornelius

How do you make the 'coin dip' ?

capthank, SensibleSal66 and SmokinJoe like this.
  10. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Verdicare.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. For me, just preserve the coin the way it is, and that's that . I try to seek coins with good eye appeal, but a minor imperfection is tolerable. I search what is generally available for a similar coin. Almost all coins have something to make them less than perfect. Be happy if you have a scarce coin, and don't try too hard to make it seem more valuable for profit. Be careful for sellers that take photos in a deceptive way making the illusion it is better condition than it truly is. If it has a spot you don't like, see it as a unique aging mark. If a coin is treated, I tend to avoid it.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  12. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If your coins look similar to the ones you posted, I would seal them and leave them alone, Just my opinion Sal. Good luck

13. SensibleSal66

Thanks for the replies . Most of these coins I have ( LG Cents / KG coppers ) are "dug" coins anyway . I guess it's just natural for them to do this when being exposed to to air anyways after being in the ground for so long . Unfortunately some may be past being helped . :(

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't think anything is going to improve those, they look like they reached their limits. As the luster is already gone and you've the need to avoid vapors, focus on preserving the status quo. Hydrogen peroxide will sterilize those for packing. Don't worry about hurting them, you can't.

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...uh...vinegar IS acetic acid (usually 5%).

NSP likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey @SensibleSal66 was going to send a PM, but you might have disabled it for some reason...I see others commented this too. This is something that is more usual in the Ancients Forum with old bronze. There is a product called Renaissance Wax (or Ren Wax for short) that will somewhat fill and seal porous coins. In lieu of that, I have used linseed oil. Linseed oil is what is used in "oil" paints, it reacts with oxygen in the air to form a plastic that will seal the surface. What you can try is 1) soak the coin in distilled water with some brushing with a toothbrush to remove verdigris that might be present 2) treatment with organic solvents would be a good thing if you can stand it...acetone or xylene, outside if you are concerned about vapors 3) dry the coin thoroughly either in an oven or letting it sit in hot sun for a few hours 4) put a drop of linseed oil on each side and thoroughly massage it into the pores of the coin, wipe off any excess and let it sit. Try this on one you have given up on. Good luck.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  17. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

These cannot be conserved

18. SensibleSal66

Thanks everyone ! :)

19. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You don't make it, you buy it. There are numerous commercial brands on the market.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Hey Kentucky..... A few years back I bought an ancient Chi-Rho that I had made into a nice necklace for my wife. The Chi-Rho symbol is all over our church and she likes that sort of stuff..... Anyway after six months of wear the coin became dull and dead looking. Is Renwax what I need to use to put some life back into that ancient?

And my deepest apologies for the de-rail...

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted