Help bringing a possible overstrike into Phocas

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I purchased this little Byzy boy years ago listed as a coin of Phocas. One issue though, I could never get an ID on it of my own. Recently, I have rededicated myself to get what I feel are as close to positive IDs on my coins. I have found that since my last foray into this rewarding and tricky part of the hobby I have a considerable amount more knowledge (thanks to, in no small part, all of you here!).
    I have looked through AC search and Wild winds with no luck finding a Phocas coin that has the emperor standing left of the large M, as is the case on my coin. But I did come across a small amount of coins of Heraclius during his revolt that were overstruck on top of Phocas coins. I am wondering if that is the case with my coin? Could this be a case of the revolting emperor covering up his enemies propaganda with some of his own?? Is my ID just totally off???
    It is a big boy, AE Follis. 29mm 9.07 gr.
    E88D285D-3788-4069-8400-EA430CDD6CC7.png

Any help is appreciated. Please post your thoughts and coins of both Phocas and Heraclius or anything you deem relevant!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

It's very likely to be over-struck. ANNO is usually to the left of denomination. Maybe the Emperor also ought to change position. I think..

Ryro likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see Constantinople over Antioch and the Antioch has standing figures on its obverse. A darker photo might help read more. Perhaps this Phocas type contributed to the mess?
    rz0240bb0551.jpg

5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

idk..but kool coin at any rate..:)

Ryro likes this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

That is a terrific overstrike, Ryro. I really like it - good and sloppy!

I have a couple of Heraclius overstrikes, one over a Phocas and one over a Maurice Tiberius (I think):

Byz - Heraclius over Phocas Sep 2018 (0).jpg
    Heraclius & Her. Constantine
    Æ Follis Year 4 (613-614 A.D.)
    Constantinople Mint

ddNNhЄRAC[LIyS ЄτhЄRACONSτPPA]; Her. & Her. Const. / M; ANNO left; II/II rt.; Chi-Rho above; Off. Δ below; CON in ex.
    Sear 805; DOC 76d
    Overstrike: Phocas follis, X, IIII, and PERAVG (SB 658-9?)
    (10.89 grams / 30 mm)

Byzantine Heraclius over M. Tiberius Jan. 2014.jpg

Heraclius & Her. Constantine
    Æ Follis Year 4 (613-614 A.D.)
    Constantinople Mint

ddNNhЄRAC[LIyS ЄτhЄRACONSτPPA]; Her. & Her. Const. / M; ANNO left; II/II rt.; Chi-Rho above; Off. Δ below; CON in ex.
    Sear 805; DOC 76d
    Overstrike: Maurice Tiberius follis (582-602 A.D.).
    (10.29 grams / 28 mm)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted