Help! 1991 D Close AM - I think that I've found one..

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Scott Bailey, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Scott Bailey

Scott Bailey New Member

Hi All! Thank you in advance for assisting. I've compared this to others and this looks legit to me. Any opinion or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They would have had to make a close AM die for the 91s, and they didn't.
    All of the 91 reverses have wide AMs and you can see a space between the letters on yours. They have to be practically touching. There are no close AM 91s. "1959 - 1991 P and D cents should all have Wide AM reverses."
    Link:http://www.lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Both are Wide AM
    There is no 1991 Close AM

Until 1992, both proof and business strike Lincoln cents were made using the same type of reverse die all with a Wide AM

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Save this in your "Favorites":

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html

Chris

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

But is it a small date copper?

paddyman98 and Heavymetal like this.
  7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Cruel, but funny.

Heavymetal likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Sorry. I've had a couple beers and am feelin' feisty lol.

rickmp and Heavymetal like this.
  9. Scott Bailey

Scott Bailey New Member

Hi All,

Thank you, very much, for the assistance. Chris, thanks for the link. furryfrog02, you probably see a lot of newbie questions like this one. It looks like "Close AM" is really about a Die that was used rather than about the actual kerning. Is it common to see the discrepancy in letter kerning that is obvious between these two coins?

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I had to look up "kerning'.

Scott Bailey and Mernskeeter like this.
  11. People's Clem

People's Clem New Member

I have a 1991 close am . I think this means the error occurred in the two years they produced. The older 1991 would have to be rare because they had a error in production that applies to the year they needed them to be "different" probably the patent changing caused the same problems and was most likely to fix the ones they circulated .. one person obviously knew the error existed and was sought after...

12. People's Clem

People's Clem New Member

I have a 1991 close am . I think this means the error occurred in the two years they produced. The older 1991 would have to be rare because they had a error in production that applies to the year they needed them to be "different" probably the patent changing caused the same problems and was most likely to fix the ones they circulated .. one person obviously knew the error existed and was sought after... (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/help-1991-d-close-am-i-think-that-ive-found-one.337511/)

13. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Do we see photos coming?
    Publication1.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted