HELP! 1798 Trade Dollar?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coind00d, Apr 13, 2006.

1. coind00d

coind00d New Member

Hello,
    I have a Trade Dollar coin from 1798 with a seated liberty holding an olive branch twoards the West with 13 stars on one side and on the other an eagle holding 3 arrows and an olive branch in his claws. it is marked "420 GRAINS 900 FINE" with a "S" above the "D" in "Trade Dollar". I looked online to source this coin but I could not find any info on it. I only see information about trade dollar coins from 18XX and not 1798. i will attach pics in a few. thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coind00d

coind00d New Member

4. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Congradulations on finding a nice counterfeit coin. That is a good reason why you should read about them before purchasing them.

5. coind00d

coind00d New Member

thanks for the info!

6. Charlie32

Charlie32 Coin Collector

You'd think they would at least try to use the right century.:goofer:

Charlie

7. SCNuss

SCNuss Senior Member

I've seen counterfeit 1805 and 1807 dollars advertised on eBay, so you can't rely on the crooks to be too smart.

8. troyster68

troyster68 New Member

I hate to say it But I'm glad I am not the only one who got a fake, I hope you didn't pay too much for it?

9. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

assuming the color and weight are right (a big assumption) then it is a pretty good fake, the date excepted. The design details are pretty close to what they should look like. I can't tell what the surfaces look like, but from what I can see, the counterfeiters are getting pretty good at recreating the proper look.

10. Burks

Burks New Member

The date is horrid looking. With the correct date and lettering, it could fool a lot of people.

11. recep

recep New Member

Hello,

A while ago I found some coins like this in a very old wrecked house. Could you, please, tell me if they're fake too?

PIC_5768.resized.JPG PIC_5770.resized.JPG PIC_5778.resized.JPG PIC_5783.resized.JPG

12. camlov2

camlov2 Member

Trade dollars were minted from 1873-1885.

13. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

14. recep

recep New Member

I forgot to add the last third coin in my previous post.
    PIC_5788.resized.JPG PIC_5791.resized.JPG
    So, could this be a real one, or it's fake aswell?
    Also I noted some interesting fact: should the graphics on both sides of the coins match? Because if I rotate the all the coins in the "correct for viewing" position from one side, and when I turn them, the other side is upside-down and a bit sideways rotated.

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Unfortuneately it does not appear to be genuine either.

16. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

You know, it's really okay to post a thread about a coin for sale and say help, I don't know if this is real or not. Thats one of the reasons that forums like this exist. Pride will only empty your pocket book or wallet, whatever, real quick. Please let this be a lesson, that you remember every time you decide to buy Raw Coins. On one hand you have my sympathy, and on the other, well you know.

17. recep

recep New Member

Thank you for your prompt reply, but as I said i haven't bought these coins, I've found them in an old wrecked house. Also I didn't want to sell them, I was just asking if they're real or not.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Gotta give the counterfeiter an A for effort. A trade dollar from the 1700's? That would be a first! :)

19. coinman0456

Oh sorry I misunderstood, I thought you purchased that .

20. coinman0456

Sorry the comment was for the OP.

21. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

The one who hasn't been around for more than 4-1/2 years?

Draft saved Draft deleted